(817) 754-0465

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Asking for your help and support
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi all -

It's 2012 and thank you for a being a part of this forum. It started in 2003 and how quickly time fly. If you enjoy this forum, please consider making a donation to keep it running. In 2010 we relocated this forum to a different webhost. My intention is that if one webhost (bigleaforchids.com) is down, phalaenopsis.net where this forum is hosted is not affected.

I like to raise $200 to help pay for running this forum. You can make a donation by following this link below

http://www.bigleaforchids.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=1579

We used to have a donate button on this forum but it was lost whenever I update the forum software.

As of 1/20/2012 - we have reached our goal.

I would like to acknowledge the following members for donating to support this forum - last update 1/29/2012

DHS0403
Jayfar
zxyqu
naturegirl72
edge
phalaenopsis
jkainemd
loujost
Mackarov
Call_Me_Bob
LEGAC
LoriW
Orkid
rdlsreno
SusieH
linnie
JimL
anonymous
Call_Me_Bob
anonymous
mervin
Equestris
Saphir
Pete
didier
userbenr
Moist von Lipwig
orchidgfs
doreen

and thank you to Big Leaf Orchids customers' support to keep this forum running.

A suggestion from David Saunders is to create a new forum called "Classic Discussions". We will use this section to keep posts which are useful to you. A good example is Ben Belton's post of his basement greenhouse. If there are topics that you found that you would recommend to new growers, please let me know and I will move them to the classic forum.

FWIW - I am finding myself spending less time on this forum because it is my guilty pleasure. I enjoy the interaction with orchid growers, yet time spent on this forum is taking away my time to tend to my orchids. I was planning on closing this forum so that I am not distracted. There is also facebook and many orchid discussion forums that orchid growers can be brought together. But for now thanks to David's pm and donation, as well as recent surge of new members and interest - perhaps this forum is not out dated and has its purpose.

Thank you,
Peter Lin

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Asking for your help and support
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Peter, there may be Facebook and other orchid forums, but none contain the quality information and knowledgeable Phal growers as yours. Thank you and David for not closing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 am 
Customer

Peter,

Yes, there are other forums, but none like this one. I hate to see it gone for many reasons. One is I don't do Facebook. I try to have some control over my private information which Facebook doesn't repect or really allow, no matter what they say.

I simply forgot to make a donation with my order. I'll mail one to you today.

Moist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 am 
Customer

Peter, if this is too much for you too handle, I'm sure we could all pitch in to keep it running, myself included. That said, you've gotta have a guilty pleasure, and I can't go a day without checking this forum for the new and exciting. This forum is far and away the best for phalaenopsis up to date information, culture, setups, etc. Also, those involved on these forums are quickly becoming friends that I hope to meet at various shows/etc. You have started something here that can't be replaced easily, if at all. Thanks for deciding to keep it open, and expect my donation with my next purchase!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 am 
Customer

[quote="rangiku"]Peter, there may be Facebook and other orchid forums, but none contain the quality information and knowledgeable Phal growers as yours. Thank you and David for not closing it.[/quote]

AMEN!!! This website/forum is my one of my most favourite of the many I belong to! A month or so before joining, I surfed through almost the entire store of threads on the Phal. species, primaries, and hybrids, pretty much as far back as I coud still see pictures. I learned such an incredible amount of information, and while talking to Bob, I was shocked at how much I have learned! This forum is SOOO awesome and I wouldn't want to see it go! I can definitely give a donation! Also, if it wasn't for the darn Can/Am border, I would be a regular customer! :) I agree with zyxqu, I check this forum MANY times a day, and I do enjoy it! Nowhere else is there a group of people so devoted and knowledgable in the ways of the Phals!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:05 pm 
Customer

im new here, havent even been a member for 24 hours, but already i love it here!! thankyou for starting this forum, and thankyou for not closing it down! ill echo others here and say that if its becoming a burden, then im sure some members would pitch in and help!! i definitely would, even though im brand new! this place is an amazing place and it needs to be preserved! i would send you a donation, but i cant afford it right now. in the future i will though!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Peter, I'm an admin on a board that uses this software. If you like, I can help out moving/appending threads, etc. Banning people like JimL and Cody... :D

But, perhaps Peter means is that he WANTS to read all the posts and that is taking time away from his greenhouse. Maybe set aside xx amount of time to surf here? Difficult, yes. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 pm 
Customer

Banning people like JimL and Cody... :D

Wha? Lil ol' innocen me? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:48 pm 
Customer

Cody, you're 16, how innocent can you be?

Moist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:56 pm 
Customer

Ha. Just take 1% of my yearly purchases from you and that will keep it running for at least 10 years :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:45 pm 
Global Moderator

What???? :o :o :o NO, No way! Peter you just can't close that forum! :evil: :evil: :evil:

peterlin wrote:
A suggestion from David Saunders is to create a new forum called "Classic Discussions". We will use this section to keep posts which are useful to you. A good example is Ben Belton's post of his basement greenhouse. If there are topics that you found that you would recommend to new growers, please let me know and I will move them to the classic forum.
Each post in this forum is of interest, so it would be a great work just to move it away...

peterlin wrote:
There is also facebook and many orchid discussion forums that orchid growers can be brought together
Moist von Lipwig wrote:
I hate to see it gone for many reasons. One is I don't do Facebook. I try to have some control over my private information which Facebook doesn't repect or really allow, no matter what they say.

That's the same for me. And I will not change my mind tomorrow, so Facebook is not an option for me.

peterlin wrote:
FWIW - I am finding myself spending less time on this forum because it is my guilty pleasure. I enjoy the interaction with orchid growers, yet time spent on this forum is taking away my time to tend to my orchids. I was planning on closing this forum so that I am not distracted
Well, I understand this, but if this forum is continued on another place, you will go to that place to read it, won't you? :mrgreen:

peterlin wrote:
But for now thanks to David's pm and donation, as well as recent surge of new members and interest - perhaps this forum is not out dated and has its purpose.
Peter, of course no, this forum is not out dated!

Peter, I will use your link to make a donation ASAP, be sure I will. Maybe you just have to take a break and only come here every few days, not every day. I'm regularly too busy to come here for weeks or even months, but I'm missing the forum every time!

Alain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 pm 
Customer

[quote="TheBlazingAugust"]Banning people like JimL and Cody... :D

Wha? Lil ol' innocen me? :)[/quote]

do you really expect anyone to believe that you are innocent???????!!!??? :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Peter and you dear orchid friends,

Speaking for my husband and me - we would desperately miss this forum 'cause there's really no alternative for us, least of all the german orchid forums...
There is no other place for us to keep contact to so many, friendly and knowledgeable orchid growers like in BLF.
Thank you for not closing the forum and as my previous speakers already stated - we would be also very willing to help wherever help is needed.
We will make a donation now - hope it works with credit card or paypal but we'll find out ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:44 pm 
Customer

Time to take Bigleaf Orchids public and do a big IPO..Peter, think of the capital raise..haha, kidding aside, i think that the forum actually does more harm than good given most of us are drooling over more plants by reading the posting..it is a good thing though!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:15 am 
What???? :o :o :o NO, No way! Peter you just can't close that forum! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Alain

I totally agree with Alain!! Please don't do that! I love this forum, it's one of the best I know!

P.S. facebook is no option. Facebook is evil, I don't like facebook...