(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: passion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 am 
Customer

I'm posting this on a new/different thread because I don't feel it's appropriate or fair to have this on a thread that was originally about another growers lovely orchids. The reality this has happened recently on a couple of threads, so I feel this is the best way to express my opinion on this....

Guys, come on. Just be nice.

Many years ago we started the Hybridizers Forum largely because there needed to a separate place from Peter's forum where folks could be very focused on that topic and the more passionate discussions about hybridizing could be kept a little lighter around here. It worked for a while, but just like what is happening here now, the passionate discussions got out of hand on the Hybridizers Forum and one of the founders just could not stomach it. It ultimately destroyed what was a great resource and that forum was shut down. I ended up creating the Orchid Vault community to try and fill in that gap. But closure of the Hybrizers Forum was so painful for everyone, it has never been the same or been able to gain the same momentum.

For that reason I absolutely hate seeing little spats like this break out. It destroys communities.

Look you all know that I really dislike creating crosses that are not of clean ploidy. And you have all heard me politely try to nudge people in that direction and help educate new folks on ploidy when they care about it. But I keep it respectful and I always remove the emotion from my posts. It's not that I am not passionate about the topic, I am and have VERY strong opinions. But I try to keep the negativity to minimum and above all else I try to be nice.

Passion is great. Use it wisely, politely, etc. It's ok to joke about things off an on, but try to be conscious of how other people are going to feel. I'm going to call CJ out, mostly because he is friend and I know he is not going to be offended. CJ makes fun of his own crosses as well as any others that are aneuploid and I think he is the one that started the term crapaploid under that context. Point being he is making light of his own work, not just being critical of everyone else's.

Let's not repeat history.

Respectfully, Rob

Post subject: Re: passion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 pm 
Customer

+1. So +1!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:05 pm 
Customer

Amen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 pm 
Customer

How dare you call me out! LOL just kidding :) I love orchids for orchids. Good, bad or indifferent. Its my passion. I live, drink and love orchids. Soon, I hope to be doing nothing but orchids. I can see the beauty in probably the strangest way. If everyone of us liked the same thing it would be a boring world to live in. I have stated so many times before, to each their own. I do hope to leave the 'orchid world' in a better place than where I found it. Dead ends are no fun. I can't begin to imagine where some of the older generations of hybridizers could have led us or what they may have produced if they had the tools available that we have today, and I only see it getting better for the future. Have fun in what you do or it will get boring and tiresome. I have high hopes for the future as I remake a lot of the old 'crapaploids', and turn them into something useful and productive. The sales from my future flasks and stem props will fund my dream I hope. Live, love and laugh. It's what makes living worthwhile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:45 am 
Site Admin

Well said! :)

Flickr!
Album Homepage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:05 am 
Customer

Beautifully stated Rob, and thank you. Could not agree more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:32 am 
Global Moderator

HIDLIGHTMIKE wrote:
Beautifully stated Rob, and thank you. Could not agree more.
Ditto!

Alain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 am 
Customer

Great post CJ!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:43 pm 
Customer

the only way to grow a forum is to be as inclusive as possible. You start getting exclusive and you end up with an echo-chamber of like opinions. That doesn't help anybody.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 am 

I know I am very new and live at least 18 hours flight time away from the nearest US city but I am 100% with Rob on this.

All of us are different, all of us have and deserve our own opinions, believes and principle.
We do not even have to agree on anything but at least we have to be nice and respectful to each other at all times.

My 2cents worth.

cjmack wrote:
The sales from my future flasks and stem props will fund my dream I hope.

Now CJ, don't forget to send me a list ! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:51 pm 
Customer

Hey Rob - I couldn't agree more. While my goals are to breed to create progeny that will breed as well, sometimes that urge is just too strong. One of my recent registrations is Leopard Prince x Peppermint. What I got looks like a mini Leopard Prince and I love it. I'm going to remake it because I want more of it! It's totally adorable and I'd bet my lunch money it is 3N. But most of my stuff will be 4N. I'm not telling anyone what to breed and am not looking to get into a "religious" discussion on the topic. Have fun! Enjoy the flowers. With tools like OrchidWiz, we can research the background and decide if we want to spend time trying to breed with a specific cross. There are some crapaploids that might be useful if they can be steered back to a 4N type of breeding. Apologies to CJ - I adapted your crapaploid to become just plain craploid. Easier to say and the impact seems better.

Keep having fun, David