The International Phalaenopsis Alliance
Presents
The Nineteenth Phalaenopsis Symposium
August 9 & 10, 2013
At the
Hilton Garden Inn Downtown/Convention Center
Austin, Texas

Austin Welcomes The19th IPA Phalaenopsis Symposium

Join the International Phalaenopsis Alliance in exploring the future of the genus Phalaenopsis at the 19th Phalaenopsis Symposium on August 9 and 10, 2013 at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown/Convention Center in Austin, Texas.

This Symposium will address timely topics and much more in a series of lectures and workshops. Mark your calendar now, and send your registration to attend this extraordinary weekend dedicated to the Phalaenopsis orchid.

We encourage everyone to bring your plants for our special Show Table. All plants entered will qualify for ribbon judging– all entered plants will also qualify for AOS consideration.

Whether you are a novice, intermediate or advanced grower, here is why the Symposium is a must

· Learn the future trends in Phalaenopsis hybridizing
· Discover how to use science to produce higher quality plants
· See award winning growers select the “best for breeding” plants
· Get the answers to all your Phalaenopsis culture questions
· Have the opportunity to see and purchase the newest and best in Phalaenopsis breeding from top commercial vendors.

Visit Miller’s Tropicals

Todd and Susie Miller invite you to an open house at their nursery in Dripping Springs on Thursday afternoon, August 8th, between
1 and 5 pm. Address: 23410 RR 12, Dripping Springs, Texas 78620-4947 Website: http://www.millerstropicals.com

Come and hear the lectures:

· Olaf Gruss, Taxonomist and world traveler from Germany, will speak on Phalaenopsis species
· Dr. Yin-Tung Wang, Commercial Grower and former Texas A&M Research scientist, will speak on Orchid Culture
· Rob Shepherd, boutique breeder and owner of Sapphire Dragon Orchids will speak on Breeding for Blue Phalaenopsis
· James Rider, owns Silver Orchid with his wife, Cathy, will speak on How to Photograph your Phalaenopsis using Smart
phones, point and shoots, and DSLRs

Plus Workshops covering:

· Phalaenopsis Culture
· Photographing your orchids

Attend the Symposium Lunch with the Annual Auction of Orchid Products:

The auction proceeds will benefit key projects including the Color Fund for the IPA Journal, Phalaenopsis. Since the IPA is a
501(c)(3) organization, your donations may be US tax deductible for US income tax purposes.

Special IPA Group Rate at the Hilton Garden Inn

Room rates are $109 (+ tax and discounted valet parking) per night for a single or double room. The room rate includes a cooked to order breakfast on the 18th Floor Restaurant. You may make reservations for Friday and Saturday night using this link:

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi ... .mc_id=POG.

If you would like to come early or stay late, please call Latoya Edwards at Hilton Hotels at (512) 457-7961 or email her at ledwards@hgiaustin.com to make your extended reservation. Use the group code IPA. Hilton will honor the $109 rate for extended stays, but be sure to mention the IPA Symposium to get these rates.

Deadlines:

July 10, 2013 is the deadline for receiving the IPA special room rate.
July 15, 2013 is the deadline for mail-in registrations. After this date, plan to register at the door, but contact Lynn Fuller, Registrar
(mlfuller@comcast.net or 302-594-0765) to let her know you will be attending.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: 19th IPA Symposium, Austin Tx Aug 9, 10, 2013
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

About 3 years ago the IPA surveyed its membership about how we can make the IPA stronger and better. Overwhelmingly, our members wanted new speakers at the Symposiums and more information about Phal species. The IPA Symposium on August 9th and 10th promises this and more.

We have 4 new speakers lined up – Olaf Gruss, Dr. Yin-Tung Wang, Rob Shepherd, and yours truly.

Olaf will speak on what’s new with Phal species. He will bring us up to date on recent discoveries and taxonomist terrorism (reclassifications of orchid species). I have never heard Olaf speak, but EVERYONE tells me he is fabulous. Olaf is coming to us from Germany, so you don’t want to miss this opportunity hear him speak, talk with him over breakfast, and enjoy his sense of humor.

Dr. Wang has that rare combination of theoretical experience at Texas A&M and real world experience as a commercial grower. Dr. Wang will share his knowledge and experience about Phal culture. We have also asked Dr. Wang to host a Phal culture workshop. So bring you best culture questions and ask the guru. I have had the opportunity to hear him speak and recommend him highly.

Rob Shepard is a boutique breeder of blue Phals and owner of Sapphire Dragon Orchids. Rob recently wrote the wonderful article published in the IPA Journal about his experience breeding blue Phals. His photographs were fabulous. Since I love blue Phals, I really look forward to hearing what Rob has to say; hopefully, he will address the recent announcement by Japanese scientists about creating the first blue Phalaenopsis aphrodite (using genes from Asiatic dayflowers).

And yes, I will speak on how to photograph your Phals using smartphones, point and shoot cameras, and the latest digital SLRs. My presentation will cover two areas: 1) Learning about the mechanics of your camera as it relates to photographing Phals, and 2) Understanding the creative concepts of photography to make more dynamic Phal images. I will share my journey as an orchid photographer. I will also host a photography workshop, so bring you camera (and user manual) and let’s photograph some Phals.

You can now register for the Symposium on-line using this link.

http://www.phal.org/symposium2.htm

Please register early so we can plan for the event. And if you have not done so, reserve your hotel room soon. To make reservations for Friday and/or Saturday night use this link:

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi ... .mc_id=POG

If you would like to come early and/or stay late, Hilton Hotels has changed the way you make your reservation. Please call Latoya Edwards at the Hilton Garden Inn at (512) 457-7961 or email her at ledwards@hgiaustin.com and use the group code IPA. Hilton will honor the $109 rate for extended stays, but be sure to mention the IPA Symposium to get these rates.

Cathy and I are serving as hosts for the Symposium. We live in Austin, so if you need any assistance (including problems with hotel reservations) or information about Austin, please contact us. We can help you find the perfect restaurant, jogging trail, or evening entertainment. We want your experience in Austin and at the Symposium to be nothing short of exceptional.

Cathy and I look forward to seeing you on August 9th.

James Rider james@imp-res.com

Cathy Rider cathyr@imp-res.com

We will be emailing additional information about Austin and the Symposium’s over the next few weeks. If you prefer not to receive any additional emails, please let us know so we can take you off of our list.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:47 pm 
Customer

I'm signed up, see you there!

David

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 pm 
Customer

Glad to hear a few folks I know will be coming out. David looking forward to meeting you in person.

:-)

-Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 am 
Customer

I am planning to attend...my first orchid event!!! Has a list of vendors been published yet?

Flush, wash, and SAY NO!!!
(Except for buying/growing orchids)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

I hear Mr. Chen from Mainshow Orchids will be there as well as Mr. Lin from Brother Orchids.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:40 pm 
Customer

TxRobNLA wrote:
Glad to hear a few folks I know will be coming out. David looking forward to meeting you in person.

:-)

-Rob

Thanks Rob, it will be great to meet you too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:05 am 
Site Admin

The orchid event of the year – The IPA Annual Symposium – is quickly approaching. August 9th and 10th are the dates, and it is being held in the exciting city of Austin, TX.
You can still register for the Symposium on-line using this link.
http://www.phal.org/symposium2.htm

We have 6 vendors scheduled for the Symposium. MainShow Orchids and Brother Orchids will be coming to Austin from Taiwan. At last year’s symposium MainShow Orchids provided a rich assortment of unique and wonderful phals. Brother Orchids will have seedlings of their most recent hybrids. (I have purchased seedlings from Brother Orchids for the past 6 years, and I have not been disappointed yet.) Norman Fang of Orchids.com will be here with their abundant variety of “fangtatistic” phals. In addition, Orchidaceae Orchids will be bringing their exceptional, specimen plants. (Hopefully we will be treated to another FCC awarded plant.) Big Leaf Orchids will have a superb selection of boutique Phals hybridized by Peter Lin. Miller Tropicals, an Austin area grower, will also be with us with their usual abundance of surprises. By the way, don’t forget to visit the Miller’s on Thursday, as they are hosting an open house for symposium attendees.

To reserve your hotel room you will need to call Latoya Edwards at the Hilton Garden Inn at (512) 457-7961 or email her at ledwards@hgiaustin.com and use the group code IPA. Based on the availability of rooms, Hilton will still honor the $109 rate. But be sure to mention the IPA Symposium to get this rate. This rate includes a made to order breakfast served on the 18th floor, overlooking downtown Austin and the Texas Capital building.

Valet parking is available at the hotel for a special rate of $18/day. (I know, $18 doesn’t seem so special.)

The hotel is about 20 minutes from the airport. If you don’t want to rent a car, here are a few transportation options.

Description: * Metro bus $2.00 from the airport. This bus makes stops solely from the airport straight into downtown, so it doesn’t go all around the city. Depending on what time you are arriving, this might be perfect. Bus information is available at the airport. PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL BE TRAVELING INBOUND FROM THE AUSTIN AIRPORT TO THE “4TH AND TRINITY” STOP. This stop is 2 blocks away from the hotel. The hotel is located on Interstate 35 between 5th and 6th street.

Description: * Frank…private charter picks from airport MUST call in advance to make appointment. 512 826 2364.

Description: * Super shuttle…
(512) 258-3826
(800) BLUE VAN (800-258-3826)

Description: * Austin cabs average $25-$35 all metered. So it depends on the route the driver takes.

Cathy and I are serving as hosts for the Symposium. We live in Austin, so if you need any assistance (including problems with hotel reservations) or information about Austin, please contact us. We can help you find the perfect restaurant, jogging trail, or evening entertainment. We want your experience in Austin and at the Symposium to be nothing short of exceptional.

Cathy and I look forward to seeing you on August 9th.

James Rider james@imp-res.com

Cathy Rider cathyr@imp-res.com

Profile Personal album