(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Great deal on Kool-Logs for your Phalaenopsis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

My friend Roy Harrow in Georgia shared with me these orchid photos mounted on Kool-Logs by Larry-Mayse.

Although I grow in a greenhouse, humidity is problematic at this time of the year. I also don't have luck with small species like Phal lobbii, lowii, that needs high humidity. I just can't do daily watering. Kool-Logs looks promising because I can fill these logs with water - and leave them be for days. They are made of cermatic - so orchid will benefit from continuous even moisture to the roots. Great for indoor too due to lower humidity.

Currently Larry has starter kit starting at $35 (15% saving). I spoke with Larry to give our group additional discount to try.

For limited time until 1/31/2014, use coupon code KLSK13 at checkout. You will get one additional medium log added to each starter set. This coupon is nearly 30% (actually 28.57%) off retail pricing of buying the same Kool-Logs individually.

You can read more about these Kool-Logs on Larry's website here

http://www.kool-logs.com/

You may use this coupon as many times as you during this promotional period.

I will post additional pictures once I receive mine this week.

I can already see next summer I am filling rows of these kool-logs in front of my swamp cooler to maximize growing space.
Attachment:
Kool-Logs_(2).JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Great deal on Kool-Logs for your Phalaenopsis
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:07 pm 
Customer

I placed an order, seem ideal for those high-humidity phals. We'll see how it goes !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:21 pm 
Customer

I will try it too on my Phal. lobbii's.

Ramon :D

Post subject: Great deal on Kool-Logs for your Phalaenopsis
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Really excited about unpacking my kool-logs today. They are nicely packed and sturdy.

Will post pictures after I mount some orchids on these.

I still have this Masdevallia Cooper Angel hybrid that I will mount on one of these. The two little ones I will mount lobbii. Probably mount one of Phal equestris too.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

I mounted this Masd Fantasy Fandango

And Phal lobbii flava that has a small spike

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:34 am 

A few comments:

The growing technique works great. I have done the same with unglazed clay pipe and inverted flower pots.

As the evaporation is happening on the outer surface, that is where all mineral buildup will be, so give the mount a good external, plain-water flush periodically.

If you grow in a relatively dry environment, and push your thermostats down at night to save energy, the evaporative cooling effect might be sufficient to push the root temperature too cold for phals, and they will lose their roots.

Isn't white going to grow a lot of algae? It's not an issue for the plant, and may eventually be taken over by moss, but some may not like the looks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:14 am 
Customer

I have some of the Cool Pots from the Orchid Gallery in Tennessee. I have used them for cool growing orchids like masdies, Dracula, and pleurthallids. Yes, they work well for keeping the plants cooler but I can only grow the warm to intermediate masdies, not the ones with the colder temp requirement. And yes the pots and sphragnum do get an unattractive shade of black. I also got a curved cool tube, open at both ends, that hangs. It gets nasty looking too. The plant on it did great for a while; now, not so great.

I am hesitant to put my mounted miniature phals on these kool logs because the roots will stay wet and cooler all the time. I now let my miniature phals dry out completely before watering again and also my greenhouse already gets down to 60 (that's what the thermostat is set at, in reality it's probably colder in different spots) at night. My little phals seem to be doing well, all are in spike.

These pots/tubes are very porous, so the water evaporates faster than you think. Another thing you have to watch and keep up with.

Maybe, in a more controlled temp environment, like indoors, I feel, that they would do better.(for phals that is)

So.. my vote is no for phals, but yes for cooler temp requiring orchids like masdies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

These are valid concerns. Every experienced grower knows what works best for his or her specific environment.

Out of 60 or so Phalaenopsis species, they don't all share the same requirements. My biggest challenge is to keep the small miniature type watered. Larger species they do well mounted and can tolerate infrequent watering. As a side note, my mounted Phalaenopsis gigantea on tree fern plaques seem to look better since I installed automatic misting. It was automatic until my timer broke - so now it's semi-automatic. I have to manually turn on misting.

One of my challenge is that infrequent watered mounted plants have moss that become too dry to rewet. It would require several watering. Kool-logs would solve this problem for me that I would just fill its reservoir with water.

As for surface becomes too cold, I am trying these mini-type of Phalaenopsis that would tolerate cooler temperature. Deciduous type of Phalaenopsis like Phal wilsonii (from Northern China that sees frost with night temperature in the low 30s F).

As for warmer miniature species like Phalaenopsis appendiculata, this small species like even moist humidity but warmer temperature (these are from Malaysia where night temperature is in the 70sF). I have under bench heating so I plan to place these in an enclosure - transparent tabletop greenhouse to trap humidity and heat. In a very humid environment - the surface evaporation will not as rapid - and therefore less cooling effect. For home grower where room temperature is usually kept at upper 60s to low 70s, temperature should not be a problem.

I realize that this is not a good time to repot, mounting - but this is the time of the year where I am not as busy with shipping. I am sure an established plant on these kool-logs may do better than newly mounted plants. I am just excited to experiment.

If you do try kool-logs, please remember you still need to pay attention to other requirements (light, temperature, humidity, food).

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:53 pm 
Customer

All this talk about cool logs/pots got me inspired to work on some of my orchids today in need of repotting and remounting. Pictured below is a cool tube pot (not from Peter's advertised source). As you can see, I have a little Lepanthes mounted on wood hanging on the side. That worked for a while but I needed to mount it directly. Also, you can see the wet loving creature, the rat bastard slug, hanging out. He has since gone to rat bastard slug heaven. The pot was pretty nasty inside and out with black yuk.

After a good scrub and fresh sphagnum, I hope my little Lepanthes likes it new home.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Brenda - that slug looks yucky. Who sells that tube log you use?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:08 am 
Customer

Orchid Gallery in Tennessee. They sell on ebay also.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:16 pm 
Customer

I had a little trouble with the coupon code in FireFox, but it worked just fine in Internet Explorer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

I will let Larry know by email. He is away this weekend. He also sign up on this forum so maybe he will share his experiences with us here.

I check on my two little mounted Phal lobbii and Phal lowii today. I think the water inside already dried up so I refill them. Moss is not totally dry. I'm estimating having to add water to this smallest kool log once every three days. I'm sure this will depend on humidity.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:03 pm 
Customer

I so want to try these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm 
Customer

Maybe they apply the coupon after by including the extra lot but I don't see it showing up when I use their site. I'm still getting a stater kit either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk