(817) 754-0465

It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dr. Yoneo Sagawa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:30 am 
Customer

My friend, Dr. Sagawa passed recently. He was a Gold Medal recipient from the AOS for his lifetime achievements in the orchid community as well as a lifetime award from the International Phalaenopsis Alliance. He was a professor emeritus from the U of Hawaii and a past director of Lyon Arboretum. He authored countless articles and papers, mostly on orchids. Born in Hilo, he went to the mainland to study, getting his PhD from U of Florida. There he counted the chromosones of all the Phal species he could, determining that they all had the same number in 2N form and could breed with each other. He also did some seminal work in inducing polyploids in orchids with chemicals. He continued to do research, mainly through his post grad students. His specialty was tissue culture and lab propagation work, especially with the orchids he loved. He had many students and it was common for SE Asian nurseries to send their children to study under him. Many lived at his house for years. (JB, he was still waiting for you to come back and pick up your Vandas.) Many of the large Thai and other foreign labs were started by his students. More recently, he consulted with China and Korea. I'm grateful for the time he spent mentoring me as well as the hundreds of his students, many who have passed the info to me. He rarely spoke of his many achievements or awards, but with a twinkle in his eyes, he'd speak of his students and their successes. I will miss our sessions.

Post subject: Re: Dr. Yoneo Sagawa
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:33 pm 
Customer

Very nice sentiments. Sorry to hear the loss of your friend.

Post subject: Re: Dr. Yoneo Sagawa
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Randy, I am very sorry to hear about Dr. Sagawa. He will live on through all of his students and his students students.