(817) 754-0465

It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pressure cooker help for stem props
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 pm 

Hi Guys, I hope someone can help me. I am wanting to do some stem props for the first time and have done a quite a bit of reading. I have the borosilicate culture tubes with lids, and 0753 multiplication medium for stem props
Attachment:
stem prop.jpg

I am almost ready, have found great directions for every step except..... I am planning on using a pressure cooker instead of an autoclave since I do not have one. I know this can be done, but cannot find out any specifics. Could anyone tell me what pressures and amounts of time to cook my culture tubes once I have put the medium into them?
Any other advice or warnings would be very appreciated! Thanks all.. Kipper

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Pressure cooker help for stem props
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 pm 
Customer

Hey,

Cook the tubes for 20min at a pressure of 15.

When they are done don't vent the pressure. Let it decline naturally as the cooker cools. In the past when I used tubes, I put paper medical tape around the top and tube to keep contaminates from getting in the media. It is a pain, but you probably need something unless you have a sterile room.

I personally add additional BAP to this media. I add 3mg to make a total of 5mg. Rob S who will probably also reply here adds more, but his conditions are different than mine it seems. I usually get more plants than I want with just the 5mg. This makes a liter. I add 900ml of water and 100ml of coconut water. I think Rob does the same. The BAP and coconut water can be obtained from Phytotech Lab. BAP is B130 and the coconut water is C195. You can also get the O753 from them. I suspect Phytotech is where OSB bought theirs from since they use the same number. Be sure to use distilled water.

Good luck

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:03 pm 

Hi Ben, You rock! Another question though before I order it, is BAP the same as 6-benzylaminopurine. Found that on the Phytotech website but wanted to make sure first. Thanks again. Kipper

Post subject: Ben Belton
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07 pm 
Customer

Kipper wrote:
is BAP the same as 6-benzylaminopurine.

Yes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:15 pm 

Excellent, Thanks again Ben...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:58 am 
Site Admin

Good luck Kip. It's great you are attempting this.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:57 am 

Thanks Peter. It's an adventure! I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:30 pm 

Hi Guys, I just have one more question (I hope). I have everything ready to make my tubes, my question is that the 1 liter of medium that I will be making will be more than I need right now. If I go ahead and make up the extra tubes and sterilize them, Can I store them in some way for future use? Refrigerate them or maybe even freeze them? Thanks again for the help! Kipper

Post subject: Pressure cooker help for stem props
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:19 am 
Site Admin

You can store them until ready to use. Question is how long because water evaporates from media. I presume your medium is poured into flask or tube and stopped with stopper sealed with wrap to prevent contaminates from entering.
You store them in cool dark place where air exchange is minimal. Maybe Ben will see this post and give you his experiences

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:43 am 

Excellent, That is what I was hoping. Used tubes with lids and paper surgical tape like Ben suggested. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:37 pm 

UTTER DISASTER!!! Well a good learning experience anyway. Everything actually went great except the fact that the lids for the tubes, contrary to what the description said, were NOT autoclavable. Ended up as little blue balls floating in the medium at the bottom of the tubes. I have already ordered more of the supplies to make the medium, but will have to find a different place to order containers. Ben, do you order containers from Phytotech along with media supplies or is there a better place? Thanks Kipper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:35 pm 
Customer

Kipper wrote:
Ben, do you order containers from Phytotech along with media supplies or is there a better place?

Well, things have changed a little bit since I got all my supplies. To start the stems I use baby food jars that I bought off eBay and caps for them that Phytotech sells. Phytotech now also sells baby food jars. Might be cheaper on eBay, but convenient on Phytotech.

THIS is the cap I use for the jars.

Once the stems have germinated and grown a little, I move them to larger jars. Lemme know when you get there, and I'll let you know on that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:45 pm 

Thanks Ben, I got jars on Ebay for 50 cents each with free shipping so grabbed them and ordered the lids from Phytotech. Now.. round two!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:36 pm 

O.K. So far, fourth time's a charm. Finally settled on pint mason jars. Medium mixed well and gelled perfectly. Day 4 and no sign of any contamination. If all looks well in 3 more days the first stems go in. Starting with Phal. amabilis. Updates to come....(Hopefully good ones)
Attachment:
prop jars.jpg

Thanks again for all the help!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:00 pm 
Customer

What are you using for your sterile area?