(817) 754-0465

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pollen viability and storage (Phal. bellina/violacea)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:45 pm 

I have been reading a few things from the forum regarding the topic.
Here is my understanding; could anyone correct/add anything?

1) To have a viable pollen it is better to collect it within the first 1-3 days that flower opened up.
2) To keep its property, the pollen must be stored in specific conditions:
-------> Tightly close and dry environment (plastic tube and use a desiccant such as anhydrous calcium chloride).
-------> Keep your samples in a fridge? or at room temperature?
3) How long can you keep pollen in these conditions and still have it viable for future use.

For Phal bellina and violacea, what is the best time to put pollen onto the stigma?
I found that some of you recommend within the first week that the flower opened up.

With my Cattleya/Laelia I use the color as an indication of viability (bright yellow = Good; brownish = DONT bother)...
and I would even get the pollen out of the flower before it fully opens up.
I am not sure I could use color as a good indication of pollen viability with Phalaenopsis.

In advance, thank you for all your input.
Emmanuel

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Pollen viability and storage (Phal. bellina/violacea)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:12 pm 
Customer

I wanted to mention that some pollen is not naturally yellow and is still viable. I pollinated my cat cernua a while back ( in 2012, now have seedlings ) and noticed that the pollen was a brownish/off colour. I thought at the time that the pollen was not viable and nearly gave up. I subsequently read that this orchid is pollinated by hummingbirds and that if the pollen was naturally yellow, the hummingbirds would clean the pollen from their beaks and the orchids would then not be cross pollinated.
I currently have a violacea var winepress with a pod and that was pollinated at about 2 weeks old. The pollen was from a flower that was also at least 2 weeks old. It is the first time that I have been able to successfully pollinate this plant. I know this is anecdotal but I suppose the point is that although there may be hard and fast rules - there is always an exception and you shouldn't give up ! Orchid propagation continues to surprise me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

For Phal bellina and violacea, I believe that the plant is ready when the flower is fragrant. This may be just a few days after the flower is opened. On my Phal bellina 'Deep Purple' HCC/AOS - I have waited up to 4 days after the flower is opened. Back then I did not use fragrance test to harvest pollen.

I like to use fresh pollen so I don't store pollen. Storing pollen is only useful if there is a species or hybrid flower that is flowering at a different time than the intended pod parent.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:13 am 

Thank you Orchidsarefun, I really like the explanation with the hummingbird; always makes total sense with the natural scenario. Likewise Peter, so the first few days would be best to proceed.
Emmanuel

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:09 am 

I have two plants of P. pulchra, one has yellow polinia, the second brown ones. The difference is probably genetic. Jaroslav

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:43 pm 
Customer

Stored pollen can totally be used to get viable pods. I think Ben sent me some violacea pollen a few years back, and after sitting in my fridge for a month or so I put it into my venosa and got a viable pod out of it.

~Cody~