(817) 754-0465

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Replate With P748 Question
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:28 pm 

I have replate P748 it contains Banana, charcoal and agar ( from Phytotechlab)
I want to replate some Phalaenopsis noids from a friend that was growing them also. I would like to know if I add the other items Sugar, pototo , gelling agent( agar) plus the distilled water would to work as well as your recipe? I would like also to know what is the best containers to use for the process. I have some plastic containers like soup and salads would come in. They have the pp symbol on the bottom but I am not sure how to go about using them to flask in and making sure they are sterile. Can they be put in pressure cooker with out melting? I have some Catts in baby food jars just germinating now that are unvented.

Replate Media Formula

20g/L P668 (Phytotech Orchid Maintenance Media with Charcoal)
5g/L Sugar
25g/L Banana
50g/L Potato (cooked and mashed)
3-5g/L Gelling Agent
950ml/L Distilled Water

I want to thank you all for helping other members like us that are just starting out and learning as we go. It makes it a lot easier having advise from member that have done this process before.
Cntry

Post subject: Re: Replate With P748 Question
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:31 pm 
Customer

I have used P748 in the past, and I like it because it is soft, but the plants don't seem to care and root in the much harder medias like P656 just as well. With P748 you need to add potato. It has everything else. You can do it with potato flakes. I bought some from Phytotech because then I knew there wasn't any salt or any extras in it. I finally stopped using the P748 because I wasn't having good luck with it. JimL had the same issues as well. I have no idea if it was something I did or just a bad batch, but some flasks of P748 just never grew or outright died. Some flasks did amazing. There was no consistency. I finally switched to P656. It has everything in it. Nothing to add except water. If you don't mind mixing from scratch, variations of P668 like you have below work great too. Be sure to check you pH. Actually, I don't think your recipe below has enough gelling agent depending on which one you use. I use the A111 agar from Phytotech and it takes around 7.5g/L. Might not be the same for other gelling agents. I think the best media is Hill's, but it is expensive and the company that sells it HERE has not been the most prompt with my orders. I assume because I didn't order a zillion dollars worth or something.

As far as containers. You can use anything as long as it is air tight. I have used mason jars with plastic lids from Phytotech in the past. I cook them in a pressure cooker to sterilize the media. I have no idea if you can cook the salad or deli containers. I'm guessing probably not. If the lid does not screw down on what you use, I'd consider using some sealing film around the lid such as Phytotech A003.

I have never flasked Catts. If you need to know more about that, I can get Mark in here. Let me know. I am not sure if you can use the same media for Phals and Catts.

Hope that doesn't leave you with more questions than it answered. Disclaimer, I do not work for Phytotech and not their biggest fan, but for orchid flasking, they have about everything you need.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:59 pm 

Thanks Ben,
I did make up the P748 and I added mashed potato's to it as well as a little more agar. The seedlings got here today from my friend and I know I didn't have a lot of time to wait on getting some type of media made up to replate them into. I will order some of the other and do second replate if I see they are struggling. Hers were in a flask for 10 months I believe and they are very very tiny so they definitely need something to help them along in order to get a bit bigger. I bet they are not as big as my pinky finger nail. ( my nails are short to )

I would love some advice about Catts and flasking from your friend. They are right in P668 from seed and I see tiny pin points as in someone touched the agar with a pin. Nothing green yet on them but I can tell something is happening.

My Phals are very small that I sown using seeds someone gave me. They are just noids so that I could learn. Mine have germinated already as I can see tiny green dots on the agar now. My biggest problem was I think I used to much peroxide when I did my dry seeds and placed them in the flasks. So the next time I think I will use only half the amount I squirted into the containers.

Where did you get all your seeds you sown when you first started out? I would like to find some seeds that are not noids and try them next to see if there is a difference between them as they grow.

Well thanks again Ben for jumping in and answering some of my questions. Have a great Holiday Weekend, Be safe.

Best Regards,
Shirley aka Cntry

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:28 pm 
Customer

Cntry wrote:
Where did you get all your seeds you sown when you first started out?

I made my own crosses and when the pods were ready, so sowed them. You will enjoy making your own crosses.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:54 am 
Customer

Do you have a clean air flow hood?

I would suggest that you get the pre-mixed media to start. Aaron is top notch. I would follow his direction. He won't steer you wrong. He also has a couple of good books. I use O139 from Phyto because I can do so many different things with it.

I think we all started with the good ol' mason jar. Cheap and easy to get. Can opener might be getting a little hard to find.

I would also suggest that you don't waste your time with noid's. Even to practice with. I might have some seed that germinated good, if you are serious. I'll check the liquor cabinet to see.

As you can see my flask cabinet is a mess. Its hard to maintain a full time job, family, stud plants and their offspring and do the sowing yourself. I'm good friends with a local commercial grower that has never flasked an orchid and I think he is ranked about 60th for most hybrids to his name.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:43 am 

Mark wrote:
Do you have a clean air flow hood?

I would suggest that you get the pre-mixed media to start. Aaron is top notch. I would follow his direction. He won't steer you wrong. He also has a couple of good books. I use O139 from Phyto because I can do so many different things with it.

I think we all started with the good ol' mason jar. Cheap and easy to get. Can opener might be getting a little hard to find.

I would also suggest that you don't waste your time with noid's. Even to practice with. I might have some seed that germinated good, if you are serious. I'll check the liquor cabinet to see.

As you can see my flask cabinet is a mess. Its hard to maintain a full time job, family, stud plants and their offspring and do the sowing yourself. I'm good friends with a local commercial grower that has never flasked an orchid and I think he is ranked about 60th for most hybrids to his name.

No clean air flow hood. I use my orchid case that is enclose with sliding Plexiglas. I have my orchids outside now so my case is free to use all I do is clean it out with soap and water. Then I use bleach to wipe it down, I also put in a clean air thing called Thera/Pure into the cabinet then I seal it up with Plexiglas on the bottom and piece on the top of the opening. Then I put plastic wrap between both openings so that it leaves me a small opening to put in my arms. I wait 30 minutes while it is close and pull all my items I will need put them next to a plastic tub to be wiped off and put into my cabinet with bleach solution. I have mask and gloves I also wear. Everything is wiped off after the time has passed and put into the cabinet. I then spray everything one more time and spray my gloves and arms. Then I do my flasking. So I have a good system down I think for me. But getting some of the supplies I needed that were correct to use was were I was not to sure of.

I love your flasking cabinet. Did you make it or buy it? Mark I would love some seeds if you have some to spare.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:07 am 

the first attachment was beautiful,glenn

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:04 pm 
Customer

Alright then. PM me an address. You are going down a road that you may wish you hadn't. It is so easy to put a stamp on it and call when its ready!

I built that cabinet for the flask because they are in a non condition shed. It has its own window shaker. I also built my hood. Ben upgraded his system and saved me his old filter. Love it. I worked out of a glove box for years then to a semi-filtered pressurized glove box but this is the only way to go. I think Glen still works out a glove box. Here is mine.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:39 pm 
Customer

I don't remember you sending me a pic. That looks awesome. Your home made looks better than my regular one.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:18 pm 
Customer

Ben Belton wrote:
I don't remember you sending me a pic. That looks awesome. Your home made looks better than my regular one.

ha ha I don't think so Ben but you did good. Works great. No more bleach vapor buzz and no contamination.