(817) 754-0465

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Question on Stem Props
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm 
Customer

Wondering if anybody could tell me what the possible causes would be for the formation of callus and die-off on a stem prop.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Question on Stem Props
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:51 pm 
Customer

sweetjblue wrote:
Wondering if anybody could tell me what the possible causes would be for the formation of callus and die-off on a stem prop.

I am hoping Rob will find this and provide a real answer. Otherwise, I will guess if he doesn't reply.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:09 am 
Customer

I'd really like to hear your opinion Ben, so please, guess away!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:29 am 
Customer

Judy, like Ben, I would be just guessing but with more info we might be able to narrow it down.
My first thought was a bad batch of media. Are they growing callus then the callus and stem both turning yellow and dying? I've never had that happen. I grow callus and keep it alive forever! And I kill stems by over cooking them but they don't have time to grow callus.
Picture?
Is the happening to all your stems? Young still flowering stem...old flowered stem?
What media? Hormones?
How bad is the phenols? Media turning black?
Like I said I haven't done stems in years. In fact I have one for Ben that if I moved it to more warmth and light I bet it would flower! Anyways, my guess is to much damage close to a young node on to much BAP and maybe in to much light. But that doesn't explain the dying. I got away from using hormones for the fact I don't need 14 copies of the same plant. Next time try sticking a node in your growth media to see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:46 am 
Customer

Sorry, just saw this. As Mark said it could be any number of reasons. If your only seeing this problem with a specific cultivar, it may be that cultivar just has a higher tendency to proliferate.

Too much Coconut water and/or wrong balance of growth hormones in the media can cause this. We would have to know exactly what was in your media to be able to help you trouble shoot.

Best, Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:50 pm 
Customer

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm not doing the stem props myself so can't really answer about media and what not. The lab hasn't really given me much info and I'm just trying to get a handle on whats going on.

I sent out 3 stems (2 hybrids and 1 species) to a lab Sept 2013. Stems had just finished blooming.

First update Nov 2013 they were all growing and doing good. By February of 2014 one of the three (hybrid) had died. I was told that it didn't contaminate or sit too long on the same media so they didn't know what caused it.
In August 2014 the 2 remaining stems I had sent in were doing fine though the species stem was not as vigorous. I was told some species are more difficult than others.

With the most recent update I was told that "For some reason the stems are really struggling. I'm not sure if they are a species that is more difficult to do or not. I have a plant of 01 going but have lost the rest. They formed callus and died off which is unusual."

Since I haven't done stem props I have no clue to why this is happening and would really just like to understand. Trying to get info from the lab is next to impossible and have only gotten updates when I've contacted them. Hasn't been the best experience to date.

Feeling really frustrated right now so I'm thinking it maybe time to try to learn how to do it myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:19 pm 
Customer

Something is stinky in smellville. I would explore my options in labs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:21 pm 
Customer

How many actual nodes/tips did you send? How many cultures did they make? Did they know the names of the plants? Would they care? If you sent them to a hobbyist who also does lab work, they might have been tempted to a few stems of good stuff. Most hobbyist are completely not interested in novelty Phals though.

For me it is hard to call. I have done a zillion stems now. Things would up and die in flask all the time though. Sometimes I'd have great success and sometimes great failure. I always attributed callus material to the BAP, but the amount that kills one node, makes 10 plants from a node from the same spike in a different flask. There was no rhyme or reason. I'd have stems start to form great plants, be a year old, and almost ready to replate only to be dead in 48 hours. Sometimes I over sterilized and cultures languished for years doing almost nothing only to die when it looked like they were about ready to break loose and grow.

If you have the option of using a different lab, try it, but I don't know that you can be sure that this lab just isn't good at it, or had problems they can't control, or is growing themselves some nice stuff that they are glad to have.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help much.
Ben

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:39 am 
Customer

Mark wrote:
Something is stinky in smellville. I would explore my options in labs.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt but I am looking for other options. Their communication has not been the best, I sent pods in in Nov and never heard anything till I emailed them in June, not even a germination report in between.
Seeing as there aren't that many labs, maybe their just over loaded with work and can't give the attention that's required? IDK.

@ Ben, not a hobbyist but a business, so you'd think they'd be experienced. I had felt confident sending the stems to them.
Didn't tell them what I had sent in, but they were some of the nicer plants I had and wanted back-ups for. In total I sent in 3 stems, 2 novelty hybrids 1 species. each had 2 nodes if I remember correctly.

I realize it's a hit or miss proposition with stems taking, but all 3 not doing well or dying?
Maybe next time I'll just try doing it myself, how much worse could I do? Least I'd be able to keep an eye on them.

So any tips or tricks on doing stem props guys?????

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:48 am 
Customer

Judi, my Stem Prop protocol is posted here:

http://orchidvault.com/node/70

I've had generally good luck with this media.

Best, Rob