(817) 754-0465

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Replate
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:33 am 

Generally how often do you guys replate before compotting your phals? What is the intervals between replates? How long generally do keep your phals in flasks before unflagging?

I ask because I have several flasks that seem to be taking forever before they take off.

Post subject: Re: Replate
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:40 pm 
Customer

ThisSideofParadise wrote:
Generally how often do you guys replate before compotting your phals? What is the intervals between replates? How long generally do keep your phals in flasks before unflagging?

I don't think there is a one size fits all answer here. Everyone does it a little different. I usually sow the seed and when it germinates and gets just before that point where it gets fuzzy on one side, I spread it out thinly in a different flask. Once those get to about the size of a dime with 2-3 roots, I move them to a final flask. The time between depends on how long it takes the plants to grow. Usually the rate limiting step is time to get it done. I can have most crosses in final flask before a year is up. Maybe 8-10 months. Then it is just a waiting game until you feel they are big enough to take out. Can be 6 months. Can be a couple years. Depends on the parents, the cross, and other factors in their growth such as temperature, light, and the media. Sorry that is a vague answer.

What media are you using? If you think it is taking much too long, maybe they don't like the media. I have used Phytotech P748 with mixed success. Generally my plants have not liked it, stems or seedlings. I am guessing (with no real evidence to back this up) that it might be better for big hearty standards as opposed to my novelties. What is the temperature where you are growing them?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:59 pm 

I use P723 for germination and P748 for replates. Currently I'm replating once I see roots, then again once the routes are aprox 1cm long. I replate them again if the medium starts to dry(my containers are vented). For some reason I thought the whole flasking process was about 12-14 months long. so i'm not waiting long enough. I mostly flask species and primiaries temps are around 22C and I use a single 4foot HOT5 with the flasks about 8-10inches away.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:26 pm 
Customer

I no longer use P748 and I use a modification of P668 for seed sowing. I bought some P723 recently and am testing it.