Are you Interested in a Photo Contest ?

Area for discussion of any topics. Introduce yourself to other members.

Are you interested in a phalaenopsis calendar for our forum?

Yes - I would display it proudly.
78%
No - not another calendar to collect dust.
3%
Maybe
19%

Total votes: 32

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:49 pm

It was suggested before that we could have a contest to encourage forum participation, and a different suggestion to have a phalaenopsis calendar. I also got an email from the orchidboard that their orchid calendar is on sale.

I like to idea of having a phalenopsis photo contest. Have our members nominated phalaenopsis to vote on. We would have a while to do this - maybe this contest would end in November to give us time to print calendar. We would have 12 photos selected, one for each month.

To encourage participations, we would like to nominated 12 photos from 12 different members / photographers. I do not know how much it would cost to print a 8 x 11 personalized photo calendar with 12 different photos. But I would think it is about $20 each? The price would depend on the quantity ordered.

I would like us to raise money to have at least 12 calendars printed as gift to the photographers. If not, we could use these photos in a gallery to show case these photos - and that would be no cost.

I welcome your input. If we have enough interest, perhaps someone would volunteer to chair this project?
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Moist von Lipwig
Customer

Re: Are you Interested in a Photo Contest ?

Post by Moist von Lipwig » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:03 pm

I'll chair this for you Peter, if you like.

For this to work correctly, we would need HiRes photos and signed copyright permission letters from each photographer for the photos selected.

But there are people here who maybe professional photographers and it might be better if one of them did this, or not. I won't mind if someone else is choosen to chair this.
Read all about my adventures in Going Postal and Making Money by Terry Pratchett.
Oh, did I mention I'm a horrible speller?
I have pallens to trade, anyone interested?

Moist

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:58 pm

I am interested in chairing this committee. I would also be happy to work as a co-chair.

Resume includes excellent eye for superb photographs! Solid organizational skills and keen business acumen.

Seriously, I think that this is a very worthwhile project and one that I would be happy to be involved in.

A BigLeaf Orchids Phalaenopsis calendar would be without peer. I can already see the cover...Phal Liu's Bright Ruby 'Tina' in all of its glory! :)

Call_Me_Bob
Customer

Post by Call_Me_Bob » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:47 pm

This sounds like an awesome idea!!!

wouldnt you want to choose 13 images? on for the cover, and then one for each month.

i will help if needed, just tell me what to do!

i recommend talking to marty on orchidboard and getting info from him. they have done their calendar contet for a good bit now i believe and i think they have figures out a good system. why not ask fo rtheir advice for the logistical side. even for printing.

lets do it!!
~Martin

TheBlazingAugust
Customer

Post by TheBlazingAugust » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:36 pm

I am TOTALLY up for this!!! I agree with talking to Marty about the details, as he has experience with making calendars. I would buy one in a heartbeat, and I agree with having the 13th front cover pick.
Love is Love is Love is

~Cody~

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:00 am

BLO is not OrchidBoard, nor would we want Peter's brand indentified as such.

OB is selling their calendars at a deep discount as they miscalculated with respect to demand.

Villu

Post by Villu » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 am

You can also add a 14th page and pic with a little calendar of 2014, which is usually added.
And one more page with special thanks and etc... :P
Anyways, very good idea to have our own calendar!

TheBlazingAugust
Customer

Post by TheBlazingAugust » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:28 am

Pete wrote:BLO is not OrchidBoard, nor would we want Peter's brand indentified as such.

I know, but since Marty has done it several times, I was merely suggesting that if need be, Peter could ask Marty a few questions.
Love is Love is Love is

~Cody~

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks. Isn't Marty located in Canada? Wouldnt I want a printer in US because shipping would be less? Yes I will send him an email. FedEx office also print calendar. I don't necessarily want to print too many, but just a few with good quality print. Again this photo contest is for us to encourage and to reward those who took their time to show a great photo.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Photo Contest sounds like a fun project - hope those wonderful calendars will be available for European members, too :roll: ;)
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:06 pm

They should be since calendar is not live plant
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:11 pm

peterlin wrote:They should be since calendar is not live plant

Of course, Peter, was a bit kidding - just hope sending it is not too expensive. But as I sometimes order used books from the USA I know that when longer shipping times are accepted shipping costs are okay.
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 pm

naturegirl72 wrote:Photo Contest sounds like a fun project - hope those wonderful calendars will be available for European members, too :roll: ;)

Peter can just roll it up and put it in a flask for you, Sylvi. :lol: So...12 months of Eric's photos with Peter's Liu's Bright Ruby 'Tina' on the cover? :D All joking aside, does Cafepress print quality calendars? Would make it a lot easier.

LEGAC

Post by LEGAC » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 pm

I vote "yes".
Adrienne, am I this Eric ? 8) :shock: If I have one accepted picture, I would be very proud. ;)

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:58 pm

LEGAC wrote:Adrienne, am I this Eric ?

Mais bien sûr que oui! But of course!

Return to “Open Discussion”