(817) 754-0465

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Questions About Growing Practices
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:29 pm 

Hi everyone,

I was reluctant in opening this thread because there are so many question packed into thred;but I also did not want to multiple threads for the same group. It would hurt me to have unhealthy plants and I am not exactly a good reader of what orchids tell so I just wanted to make sure.

1) I noticed that besides of the flowering Noid, all of them have lighter leaves of green. I use Kelpmax every 9 days or so, I use Hydrogen peroxide dilluted with water (as a fungal treatment and bringing oxygen to roots, I dillute %3 diluted peroxide with 2 lt of water). I bought fertilizer for clean water from Lousiana Orchid Connection and I am not sure whether If I should use Kelpmax and this fertilizer at the same time. And I assume I can use this fertilizer with dilluted water?

2) I live in a dorm room heated automatically and in Ohio which means really dry weather (for example the rose that I bought just yesterday evening faddd in 12 hours). I use this humidifier between 10 hours each day. I placed it near the orchids so it brings more moisture which I hope it is fine.

3) I also use Acke Growth Light (LED) for orchids during nighttime since sun is not so visible here it is always dark and even myself miss the sun. If it is a sunny day however I don't use it that night so the plant does not get stressed.

This is how they look Image

Thank you for your answers. I just wanted to ensure that I am not causing any harm and If I cause any harm I want to prevent it as early as possible.

Post subject: Re: Questions About Growing Practices
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 am 

They actually look pretty good to me, in that photo. However...

KelpMax should always be used at 1 tablespoon per gallon, and for routine use, no more often than once a month. If you're using less, it probably isn't doing anything, and if you're applying a tablespoon per gallon that often, be prepared for some deformed flowers on plants currently in-bud (use it correctly, and that is reversible).

It can be added to plain water or mixed with your fertilizer solution.

There are two exceptions to the "once a month, at most" application of KelpMax:

1. When repotting or deflasking plants, I apply that solution for the first three waterings in a row, to "kick-start" the growth, then go to the monthly application.

2. If I have a plant that has lost all of its roots, I'll soak it, completely submerged in that same solution for several hours, then pot it up and follow that last regimen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:28 pm 

raybark wrote:
They actually look pretty good to me, in that photo. However...

KelpMax should always be used at 1 tablespoon per gallon, and for routine use, no more often than once a month. If you're using less, it probably isn't doing anything, and if you're applying a tablespoon per gallon that often, be prepared for some deformed flowers on plants currently in-bud (use it correctly, and that is reversible).

It can be added to plain water or mixed with your fertilizer solution.

There are two exceptions to the "once a month, at most" application of KelpMax:

1. When repotting or deflasking plants, I apply that solution for the first three waterings in a row, to "kick-start" the growth, then go to the monthly application.

2. If I have a plant that has lost all of its roots, I'll soak it, completely submerged in that same solution for several hours, then pot it up and follow that last regimen.

Dear Raybark,

Thank you. I will use Kelpmax again two weeks later (I last watered it with Kelpmax 2 weeks ago)

I was wondering If anyone know what this is (a virus,sunburn) Image

I think it is very unlikely that is sunburn since leaves or other orchids who were next to it does not show any sign of it. It is just one two flowes really. They were already in bloom when I started Kelpmax so not sure about that as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:39 am 

Looks to me like there is a red parent somewhere in the plant's background, and something in your culture has allowed it to be expressed. I think it looks nice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:48 am 
Site Admin

If it's just couple flowers I wouldn't worry about it Maybe low humidity or insects.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:34 pm 

Dear Peterlin,

Thank you. I don't know why but apart from seedlings and the Noid there is some sort of yellowy greeny leaves. I use humidifier and I also ensure that they get proper light. I don't know if it might be related to the shipping process or simply nutritional deficiency. The other phalaenopis you see is from Louisiana Orchid Connection.

The funny thing is I always thought seedlings would be the hardest but It turned out that seedlings are the most easily to pleaeed. They showed growth in leaves

Sorry for asking this many questions. It is just that rather doing anything wrong I want to ensure their health as I am not in the best terms of understanding 'yes this happened'. Again thanks everyone! Hopefully one day I will be able to answer questions instead of asking this many.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:39 pm 

Hi again,

I am not sure If I am overly focusing on details but here is the root of seedlings Image. Could this be a sign of fungal disease?

Best wishes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:21 am 
Site Admin

I cannot tell from the photo - not clear to what i am seeing.

If this is fungal and you are looking at the plant everyday, is it spreading ? Is the area getting larger?

If the problem is just one root, perhaps cut it off if its spreading - or do you have systemic fungicide?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 am 

Dear peterlin,

Thank you for the answer. Yes it seems to be one root. I will take a detailed picture with a better camera. I can also buy any systematic fungucide you or others reccommend :)

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:31 pm 

Dear peterlin,

Here are the two pictures of the same seedling group,one who shows exactly the roots and the other show plants in general.

Thank you for your help :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:55 pm 
Customer

To me the plants look good
As an indoor grower I would suggest you repot into a 1:1 ratio of perlite and NZ sphagnum moss (if it's long strand stuff you may need to chop it up a little so it mixes better). I like to lay down a layer or two of expanded clay pellets as well for additional drainage. I find pure sphag doesn't breathe enough and roots tend to rot under our conditions. It's harder to overwater in a more open mix.
Ultimately, you could also grow semi-hydro which also works well for me indoors and takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation. Rays' site has lots of great info on that method of course!
Have fun and don't overthink things. Small changes in culture take weeks to see; try changing variables slowly and individually to see their effects. Don't shell out for the expensive stuff until your culture is on point.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I too don't see anything wrong with the photo of root.

Mark made good points with using a more open mix.

If you have just a few plants, I would suggest a small heat mat that keep the moss warm at this time of the year.

For systemic fungicide - ask Ray if he still has thiomyl fungicide.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:41 pm 

Dear Mark and peterlin,

A huge than you for the answers. It relieved me to hear that they are fine. I was thinking of changing it as well but since both came in spaghnum moss I assumed that might be better (especially for the seedlings) :) I am thinking of changing the solution once I go back to Turkey because my plants receive more light there and temperature is kind of high as well which gets things trickier. Ohio was a whole new experiment for me since what I used to do for my orchids back at home does not apply here anymore but I am happy about being surrounded by these lovely plants

The room temperature usually stays around 74F-78F and with humidifier but I can certainly get a one If you think it is necessary. I will also ask Ray about the systemic fungicide.

Again thank you :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:51 pm 

I know it is a bit ironic after overthinking but this made me suspicious which I really hope it is again overthinking but not sure. I removed the orchid from the group and I will clean all the orchids with dilluted hydrogen peroxide tomorrow.