(817) 754-0465

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Phalaenopsis Grower - Please Read
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:41 am 
Site Admin

If you recently purchased or received a phalaenopsis, congratulation. Growing phalaenopsis is an joyable experience, due to its long lasting flower. Growing is quite easy, but if you are new to it - you may have questions.

Before you post your question, please visit American Orchid Society's website on Frequently Ask Questions.

All About Orchids
http://www.orchidweb.org/orchids/howto/index.html

Most likely, you will find your answers there. You can also find Phalaenopsis Culture Sheet that answers your question on basic growing. If you need further clarification, you are encouraged to post a specific question on this forum.

Remember, you are dealing with a living plant. Growing phalaenopsis is not all science. It's not black and white that if you do 'this' and you will get 'result'. You will find growing takes experience - patience. For long term success and enjoyment of your plants, you need to find what works best for you.

How to live with your phalaenopsis? You need to figure out how often you are willing to water, how much effort (realistically) you can put into it, what you are willing to alter your living space.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:26 pm 
Did you know the link does not work?

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:23 am 
Customer

Orchid Information page
http://www.orchidweb.org/aos/orchids/default.aspx

FAQs are listed under General Information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Chris - thank you for correcting the link.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Phaleanopsis Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:02 pm 
I live in Athens, Greece and I have been recently given a Phaleanopsis as a birthday present. It came in a relatively small pot and the only growing tip given to the barers of the plant by the garden shop was that it needed watering once a week.

As this advice seemed a bit minimal for such an elaborate plant I engaged on an internet search in order to learn more about it. This is how I found out about this forum.

Despite the fact I am doing quite well with other plants, I know nothing about orchid maintanance. I read a few tips in the link you mentioned above, but I think I can use some more help :roll:

I am attaching the photos of the actual plant because the thing that mostly concerns me is that the pot it is in might be too small for its roots (shouldn't the soil be covering the branching below the leaves? pictureA). From what I have read (and this holds true for pretty much every flowering plant) it is best to transplant after the flowering period is over. But what if my plant is suffocating in its current container?

Any piece of advice is more than welcome as I am going on holidays in three days time and I want to make sure I have done the right thing.

Thank you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New Phalaenopsis Grower - Please Read
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:33 pm 
Customer

Nice plant!

Remember that in nature, these grow hanging from a limb of a tree. They don't grow in soil. So the usual thoughts about flowering plants do not apply.

If you think about how they grow on the tree, you realize that a tree limb doesn't hold much water, so these plants don't like to stay wet and actually if they stay wet too long they will rot. You can learn to know when your plant needs to be watered by picking it up an feeling its weight.

Orchids usually don't mind their pots a little tight, but that one does look like it needs to be repotted.

Good luck!