(817) 754-0465

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Preparing Novelty Phalaenopsis for Show
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it's winter time and I dont' usually see novelty phalaenopsis getting ready to flower for Spring. I was pleasantly surprised to find this plant getting ready. It was by accident because I picked up this plant to admire its big leaves - and to find out that there is a new spike developing under the leaves. I don't want to find the flowers crowded under the leaves in the Spring - so I had to take immediate action.

So - this is what I did. Bring both the new and old spikes so that they are just above the leaves. I did this carefully so the old spike did not break.

I did take additional pictures and they are available in this story.
Comments? If you have a better method, please let me know. I did not stake either spike because it is still early. Depending on the final length of the spike when a bud is getting ready to flower, I'll need if I need to raise the spike higher to allow room for the bud to fully open.

Sow now we wait for the buds to come..

http://www.bigleaforchids.com/Info/Preparing_Novelty_Phalaenopsis_for_Show.jpg.htm

Last edited by peterlin on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:48 pm 
Customer

Excellent article Peter. I love to see stuff like this.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:03 am 
Customer

What a great looking plant Peter. What is it? A gigantea hybrid??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:40 am 
Customer

Could you write an article on naming? Grex, Var., etc.
That would be helpful for myself and I am sure many others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Jason - this plant is Phal. Ching Miao's Green Apple (Yungho Gelb Canary X Texas Jewel) - there is no P. gigantea in the background. An old Phal. bellina will have big round leaves that resemble a small P. gigantea if grown well.

Bill - I'll see what I can do about writing more articles. I was inspired when watering this plant. I'm a visual person so I like to see and to take pictures.

You might want to read Robert's Orchid Nomenclature article here
http://www.robert-bedard.com/orchids/name.html It should help you.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:42 am 
Customer

Hi Peter,

I agree with the panel. I like these articles also. Great plant pics..

I hope that I can share someday some pics of my greenhouse :) when I get one of course.

Regards,
Rob :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:16 pm 
Customer

super looking plant Peter, You are better at that than me. I usually put a Q Tip between the leaf and spike or a piece of stake untill it is out far enough that if I'm going to train it up a stake I can slowly get it going upwards by bringing it up slowly takes me awhile but I've broken them by trying to give it that little bit extra thinking I could get away with it.I'm sure you have had much practice.

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Ray -
The trick is to bend the leaves as much as possible without bending the inflorescences.

It's another beautiful sunny day here in North Texas. I had to repot this Phal. Giant Passion that is literally walking out of its pot. Since I am repotting it, I might as well preparing it for show.

Phal. gigantea hybrid has a habit of hiding its flowers. It's fine if the plant is grown hanging - so you can lookup for its flowers. But most of us grow these plants potted and keep them on benches.

Okay - where are the buds ?

Here are hidden spikes circled..

And this is the finish look- without staking..

or you could help the infl. with stakes.

This is a different plant that I applied similar staking method previously. I like to see my flowers above the foliage.
PS - I really dislike the bright colored stem clip - but they are convenient. If I'm taking this plant for show, I would replace the clip with green wires.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:34 pm 
Customer

excellent job much better than my method. Your plants are fabulous looking.What a show they will put on. The spikes were sure hidden.with all those spikes I'd love to see it when it opens. I'll be looking for it .Thanks Peter.

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:56 pm 
Customer

wow...thats really impressive the way you brought the spikes up to display the flowers without losing any of them. knowing my luck i probably would have accidently broken a spike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

I have my shares of accident. I was moving plants around the other day, and I knock off a bud on a Phal. Princess Kaiulani. I was very upset with myself. The bud would have been fine if I did not have to move it. I do get overly confident sometimes and make mistakes here and there.

Re working with infl. hidden under leaves, you can work with the leaves carefully. Leaves are easier to work with when the plant is on the drier side. If you just watered, and the leaves are perky - there is a greater chance of cracking the leaves.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:37 am 
Customer

What a beautiful plant. Those big leaves are suberb.Thank You Peter for the Photo's also. I'm sure you were upset with knocking off that flower. When I find myself trying to rush to say finish watering or some job with the plants I have to tell myself to just stop because I'm sure to have an accident with somthing .

Ray