(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to deflask orchid seedlings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

This is how I like to deflask orchid seedlings. The procedure is very simple.

Rinse seedlings in warm (room temperature) water. Do NOT soak them. You can gently rinse off agar (black jelly like media in flask) easily.

After rinsing off agar, I lay seedlings over a clean sheet of newspaper and allow them to dry off. This takes about an hour or two.

How to harden off seedlings and when to pot them up ?
I like to plant seedlings from flask in a community pot that is 5-6 inches in size, filled with 50% Styrofoam peanuts at the bottom, and 50% NZ sphagnum moss. I would place seedlings loosely over moss. It's best not to completely cover the roots with moss at this stage. Just enough for the seedlings can stand upright.

It's important to keep the humidity up initially. This is done easily by placing pots in a larger container - (for example, a 10 gallon used aquarium) - and cover it with newspaper 90% - allow a crack for ventilation.

Care after de-flasking - First Two Weeks
Keep the moss moist and keep the seedlings cover the first two days. It's best to use a spray bottle to mist the moss, than to water. Keep the community pots in shade and gradually increase the light to seedlings. This can be done with layers of paper towel.

It's not necessarily nor recommended to use fungicide initially.
It takes about 2 weeks for seedlings to adjust their new 'drier' environment outside of flask. After couple weeks, you may repot the larger seedlings individually to larger pot.
It's important to keep the humidity high, otherwise the tips of leaves could wilt - although it does not harm the plants.

For more discussion on deflasking, follow this link

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: How to deflask orchid seedlings
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:22 pm 
Customer

i found this very creative way to put seedlings into compots on the slipper orchid forum..i wonder if you can do this with phals..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:50 am 

peterlin wrote:
It's not necessarily and not recommended to use funigicide initially.

Following this instruction I decided not to use any "real" fungicide when I got my first flask. However, there is a very interesting staff here, called Polyversum. Its active ingredient is Pythium oligandrum. Pythium oligandrum is a kind of a friendly fungus, which isn't dangerous to plants but is a secondary invader of diseased tissues and partly parasitic on the other fungi. It can also promote plant growth, enhances plant strength and induces plant defense reaction against soil and airborne pathogenic fungi.

So, I used this staff on my seedlings. Well, I think I have to wait for the results but right now, 3 - 4 weeks after deflasking all my seedlings are still alive, not a single one is dead.

Guys, it is my first or second attempt to join to any dissucion so pls be nice as I am a bit shy (sometimes) :roll:
What do you think of this way of protecting your plants? Have you ever used something like that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Hi Marcjanna, I haven't deflasked any orchids so I can't help you there, but you will find that everyone here is very nice and very knowledgeable and very willing to share their knowledge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 am 

rangiku wrote:
Hi Marcjanna, I haven't deflasked any orchids so I can't help you there, but you will find that everyone here is very nice and very knowledgeable and very willing to share their knowledge.

Thanks Rangiku :) I know, I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and all I can say: it's a treasure chest for an orchid grower.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 pm 
Customer

Polyversum sounds like a fascinating product. Thanks very much for mentioning it!! Orchids in nature have a complex set of fungal associates throughout the plant, not just in the roots as is commonly believed, and it may be very useful to try to recreate this in "captivity".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:08 am 

loujost wrote:
Orchids in nature have a complex set of fungal associates throughout the plant, not just in the roots as is commonly believed, and it may be very useful to try to recreate this in "captivity".
\

Yes, I agree, and what more if it really works (I have some info it does very well) it may be not only a great staff for hobbyists but also for people who have orchid farms. Poland is a country of strawberries fields, strawberry fields forewer ;), and I think Polyversum is a future for them. So this little creature, Pythium Oligandrum, may help many farmers, not orchid growers only and what is the most important: without all this aggressive chemical staff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Update thread with new pictures today.

I have this flask in my greenhouse. I decided to deflask it today.

Peter Lin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

They look great, Peter. Nice roots!