Hi all,
just wanted to know what kind of Substrate do you people use for
your Plants.

Gr33tz, Zim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

First of all, welcome.

Second - please be more specific about your question. There are different phalaenopsis species - big and small - each will require different method of growing.

Even if you don't grow species - your growing condition should be what determines potting mix you used to grow your plants.

"At the moment", I prefer a mix of fine fir bark, charcoal, perlite, and NZ sphagnum moss. This mix does not break down as quickly - and provide good drainage when I water. It's a good compromise for growing all season.

For those of you 'old timer' - I used to grow my phalaenopsis in Pro-Mix (peat moss based). I enjoyed good growth when temperature is warmer - but suffer big loss during the cold winter month and due to not repotting often (every 6 month).

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Best Substrate for Phals?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:08 pm 

I know this is a general question, but many of you have years of experience with growing phalaenopsis,
What did you used to use as substrate and why, and if you changed sometimes for the last years, what make you change your mind?
Of course each one must have their preferences, climate, etc, but would be nice to hear your experiences and learn too!
Thanks
Best regards!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 pm 

This is a very old thread! Apparently it didn't get many responses then, so maybe this time around, it will get more replies?

I am in Fort Wayne, Indiana. So my environment is difficult for Phalaenopsis. Winter here is very cold and inhospitable. I grow my Phals indoors. Most of my Phals --particularly the ones I have acquired from Big Leaf Orchids I grow in Sphagnum Moss. I find this substrate is the best for my environment. I heat with forced air central furnace, a very dry environment. The moss provides hydration to the roots. To ensure that the moss dries evenly, I use fans that circulate the warm, dry air around the plant. This works very well for me. I have several Phals that are grown in bark, perlite, charcoal. They do well here but I have to water them more often.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 am 
Customer

In a shade house in semi tropical Hawaii, I use a lot of Orchiata bark and Orchiata bark mixes, mainly a modified Off mix. I have very good quality water with few salts. The mix depends on the pot size and the needs of the plant. I grow a mixed collection of Catts, Phals, Paphs, Vandas and other stuff that catches my eye. I water and fertilize everything the same. If the plant needs more water, I use more peat. If it likes it drier, I use more bark. When I use a bark mix, I use my fingers to sieve out the coarser parts for drier loving plants and dig to the bottom of the mix to get the finer stuff for more moisture loving plants.

I mainly use Peters Excel 15-5-15 Cal Mag fertilizer at about 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. I supplement with Kelp and occasionally Innocular from First Rays and Peters STEM all at label rate. About once a month for these. I also use Pro Text at 1/2 tea/gal.

Sequoia bark worked the best for me IF I got a good batch. If not, the plants often crashed and burned. Because of the erratic quality, I stopped using it after losing a number of expensive plants.

Recently, I've gone back to using a lot of New Zealand sphagnum moss, usually with a fair amount of styrofoam crocking. Mainly using clear pots inside a regular pot. Putting the clear pot inside a regular pot keeps the algae from growing inside the clear pots.

The choice of media and containers will depend on your environment, watering habits, water quality and the media available to you.