(817) 754-0465

It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Good References on Phalaenopsis - From Judy's Library
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Judy Barrick, President 2004 - Oregon Orchid Society (Portland)
Barrick Orchids - Oregon City, OR

Over the years (30 now), I have collected all of the Phal books I know of for our orchid book library. Following is a list of books, going from beginner to more advanced. Date is the date of printing.

The first books mentioned below are all available from the AOS (they recently sent out a gift/book catalog if you are a member of the AOS, i.e., also subscribe to the AOS magazine, ORCHIDS). They list all of their Phal books on Page 26 of this catalog as follows:

YOU CAN GROW PHALAENOPSIS ORCHIDS
(1994) by Mary Noble McQuerry - $12.95. This book is also available from McQuerry Orchid Books (Mary advertises in ORCHIDS magazine). Lots of photos of Phal species/hybrids, named parts of the flowers, fertilizing, watering, pest control, etc. Great info for very new growers of Phals.

BEGINNERS GUIDE TO PHALAENOPSIS ORCHIDS
(1994 Revised Edition) by Bob Gordon - $11.00 Lots of cultural information, even very basic information.
Enough photos to show you what you need to know.

CULTURE OF THE PHALAENOPSIS ORCHID (1990 - Revised Edition of 1986 edition) by Bob Gordon - says it includes 50% more information than the earlier edition.
Very specific details for good culture. $22.50 I have the earlier volume--might have to get this one, too.

PHALAENOPSIS CULTURE - A Worldwide Survey (1988) by Bob Gordon. Discusses 36 questions about Phalaenopsis cultural topics among the top growers of Phalaenopsis. $25.00

GROWING PHALAENOPSIS AT HOME by James Neal (1994) When to water, mist, fertilize, specifically for growing in the home.
$12.95

PHALAENOPSIS: A MONOGRAPH (2000) by Eric Christenson The IPA financially made it possible for this book to be printed so that the price could be kept lower than it would normally be for the size and number of color photos. It is the revised and updated "Bible" on Phalaenopsis species and contains photos of many of the newest species collected in the wild. In fact, the book contains 212 photos - $39.95. Eric did a great job on it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * *

THE GENUS PHALAENOPSIS by Herman R. Sweet, Ph.D.
(1980) printed with the help of the ORCHID DIGEST - this was at one time the authority on Phals and is still very interesting, with pictures of old prints and herbarium specimens, in addition to photos of contemporary Phal species flowers. You can probably only find this on the secondary market--try Powell's Books via the Internet as they can probably locate a copy for you--or just
check around on the internet. Price - ?

PHALAENOPSIS (1995) by Olaf Gruss & Manfred Wolff - auf Deutsch (in German) but has lots of good color photos (160) of species and hybrids - in fact, the photos are superb. $84.00 (worth it!) - I got my copy from Mary McQuerry Books - she has a site on the Internet.

ORCHIDS & SERENDIPITY by Hugo Freed (brother of Arthur Freed, a famous motion picture producer and songwriter who started Freed Orchids that later became Zuma Canyon Orchids and is now owned by George Vasquez's family--they used to work there when it was Freed Orchids). This book has a forward by Art Linkletter even! This book tells about Hugo and Arthur Freed and Freed Orchids - photos of species, hybrids, in the greenhouses, etc. (1970). This book is around--should be able to get it from Mary McQuerry Orchid Books. I paid $9.50 for my copy but that was in 1984--I am sure the price has gone up by now!

NEW HORIZONS IN ORCHID BREEDING by Hugo Freed (1979) Lots of photos and information on Phalaenopsis clones and breeding in the late 1970's - photos of Hugo and his wife, and also some photos of Cattleyas, Paphs and Vandaceous orchids that were at Freed Orchids (now Zuma Canyon Orchids). Interesting reading on how many of our current full-shaped colored Phals started out--from the open-shaped species.

ORCHID SPECIES CULTURE (Pescatoria, Phaius, Phalaenopsis, Pholidota, Phrags) by Margaret & Charles Baker (1991). While this book is not specific to Phalaenopsis, it gives a lot of great reference information, charts, and specific information for all but the very latest discovered Phal species as Charles has a degree in weather and has accumulated weather data from all over the world, specific to each species--a monumental amount of research is in this book!
Excellent specific info (what to use, specifically) for pests, etc.
Not sure of the price or availability. It is a thick book.

PHALAENOPSIS SPECIES by Chiba Masaaki (2002)

Recent book on Phal species showing many of the newest Phal species collected--not a large book. $34.95 - available from Mary McQuerry Orchid Books.

======================================

Also recommended by Jim Heilig (ipa member)

Phalaenopsis: A Monograph by Eric A Christenson.
Its the most current book on phals, as far as I know and has lots of good info on origin/culture/etc on all the phal species he recognizes.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:18 pm 
Thank you so much for posting a list of references. My plastic will holler "ouch" shortly! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:51 pm 

Thank you for posting this. I will most definetly be taking advantage of this list.

Post subject: Re: Good References on Phalaenopsis - From Judy's Library
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:50 pm 

I know this was posted quite a bit ago, but where can you get some of these? Thanks!!!
Hugz,
Nancy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Nancy, you can find most of these on http://www.amazon.com.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:58 pm 

AWESOME!!!! Thank you so very much!!! :D I am new to all of this so I am soaking up all the info I can!!! There is limited info/books here where I am so I really appreciate your help!!! Thank you again!!!!
Hugz,
Nancy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:09 pm 

I was able to go to Amazon and find several of the books and bought 3 for the moment!!! I will add to my library prob next month!! Thank you so very much for this info!!! It is greatly appreciated!!! :D
Hugz,
Nancy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:28 am 

Many of the books Judy Barrick listed are in my personal library and I have found them good reading and useful.

However, if I were to recommend just one to a beginning orchid grower, it would be the James Neal book. All the advice given in this book is accurate for those who are starting out and growing in home conditions.

Doreen - Clackamas, Oregon

[quote="peterlin"]Judy Barrick, President 2004 - Oregon Orchid Society (Portland)
Barrick Orchids - Oregon City, OR

GROWING PHALAENOPSIS AT HOME by James Neal (1994) When to water, mist, fertilize, specifically for growing in the home.
$12.95

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 am 

Thank you!!! :D I will keep that in mind for my next purchase!!! I appreciate your help!!!
Hugz,
Nancy