(817) 754-0465

It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Old to Orchids, Brand-New to this Forum
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:48 am 

First and foremost, thanks to Peter for developing this means of exchanging ideas, photos and experience! Bravo, sir.

I understand that introductions are in order, so herewith a brief history of an aging orchidist...

I started growing orchids when I was a wee little boy, and started studying hybridizing with Bill Carter at Carter and Holmes Orchids when I was 12 years old. Eventually, I solved my habit of buying orchids from Carter and Holmes by...going to work there in the 1980's. In time, I was forcibly named Head of the Orchid Department -- growing, sales, writing catalogues and hybridizing -- for some years. I pulled every single plant ordered, either wholesale or retail, until 1990 (if you ordered in that time frame, I picked out your plant!). In time, Gene Crocker joined us (who, by the way, had also been taught by Bill Carter since he was 16 years old) and Gene and his family remain highly treasured friends to this day.

I live on an island in this country's first-ever National Wildlife Refuge (Archie Carr NWR). As other Forum members from my area of Florida have noted, we have a love-hate relationship with our latitude: indeed, cold weather is rare here, but due to the heat, MONTHS of rain and pummeling humidity, as far as outdoor growing is concerned, we are subject to the whims of Brigadier General Pseudomonas and his columns of well-equipped infantry. Alas, after this past Summer, I will be humbly seeking the advice of indoor growers on this Forum as I seek to move my beloved Phal. bellina indoors, permanently (I can only purchase so much Peroxide, Subdue, etc. before my wits' end). As to my collection...

Yes, I am primarily a Cattleya hybridizer (forgive me!), but I have been growing Phalaenopsis since there were only four categories: 1) Standard Large White, 2) Standard Large Pink, 3) Standard (rather small) Red Lip, and 4) Novelties. Here's how long I've grown Phals.: back then, "Novelties" included all of what we currently call, "Striped," since back then, striped Phals. were so close to lindenii that the round, large ones we have now were not yet available! O, the good ole days!

Two last short notes: 1) the photo that I think I have attached to my log-in name is my cross of Phal. Mary Crocker 'Perfection'. 2) I write seldom, but when I do, as you can tell, I tend to go on and on... Mea culpa!

I look forward to your advice,
WaltonInlet

Dorothy Parker

Post subject: Re: Old to Orchids, Brand-New to this Forum
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Walton,
Welcome. We are happy to have you.
Novelty phalaenopsis indeed changes over time. I only remember as far back to 1990s when Zuma Canyon used to consider equestris and its hybrid as novelty. We know that is not true any more - as many small compact flowering hybrid are readily available in Europe and Trader Joe's.
It's interesting to see 'Striped' phalaenopsis to be a novelty. I remember Phalaenopsis Hauserman's Candy - a very nice hybrid at its time. In a way, the success of cloning phalaenopsis has discouraged some hybridizing effort.
Congratulations on your hybrid Phal. Mary Crocker 'Perfection'. It is a beautiful hybrid.

Peter

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:13 pm 
Customer

Aloha from Hawaii!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:43 am 

RandyT wrote:
Aloha from Hawaii!

Thanks, RandyT. I have a question for you regarding a photo from Foster Botanical Gardens (the place looks amazing...): do you know the name of the plant in the image below - - it looks like some kind of Vandopsis/Aranda mix with an amazing mix of colors:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... MQoioIcTAK

Best regards,
WaltonInlet

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:18 pm 
Customer

Vandopsis lissochiloides
http://www.orchidspecies.com/vandopsislissochilus.htm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 am 
Customer

Welcome! We can always use more experts.