(817) 754-0465

It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post your bellina pics here
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:04 pm 

Phalaenopsis bellina('Ingrid Ohh' x 'joy')

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:23 am 
Site Admin

So nice!

Flickr!
Album Homepage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:11 pm 

"Ohh Joy" is the right combination for a flower like this. Beautiful bellina!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:06 am 

to revive the topic :)

Phal. bellina 'YC King' 2nd bloom (1st)

Post subject: Phal. bellina var. coerulea (WO-BB strain)
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 am 

Two first-bloom seedlings from the WO BB strain. Neither are as full as Peter's magnificent plant from this F3, but here they are nonetheless, with a question about #2 for those willing to answer...

'#2' has an almost "starburst" pattern of color when viewed in sun light, but the specs of color at the top of both petals reminds me of the deformities in yellow cattleyas back when. Question, please: should I consider this to be a likely permanent fault? I have seen this occur in bellina 'Joy' elsewhere, so I do not know what to make of it, since 'Joy' sometimes flowers so very perfectly. In any event, I will give it a few years to make amends.

Thanks guys,
Walton

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 pm 

One day last year, on a busy day at KS, I asked Frank to help write down the lineage of his bellina plants. He chuckled, "YOU would ask that..." We didn't get very far back from 'Crystelle' and 'Krull's Perfection', nor very far forward from 'Country Acres', but I hope to catch him on a slower day (if there is such) and fill in this "family tree" (likewise with other bellina -- going to be a project, but I like projects...).

Here, a couple "babies." In the background, 1st bloom 'Krull's Perfection', NS slightly more than 2". In the foreground, 'Ponkan' from the original "real" plant. ('Ponkan' looks larger in proportion here because it is farther to the front of the frame.) I saw 'Ponkan' shortly after the award back in the '80's and I still like it very much. There are fuller cultivars now...larger ones now...and more fully "purpled" ones now, but as others have noted (a-HEM, Peter for example), the true 'Ponkan' is capable of carrying a mighty lot of flowers on a single spike and, IMHO, is still quite capable as a 1st generation parent. If I am not mistaken, it is the first generation parent of both 'Borneo Green' and 'Nancy', for example, and crosses in Europe x violacea indigo look quite promising, with those beautifully "upswept" petals that remind me somehow of rabbit ears.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:46 pm 
Customer

Walton,
I think that 'Ponkan' is 'Country Acres' x 'Bonsall'. I seem to recall it in an article a few years ago in the Orchid Digest authored by Hugo Freed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:54 pm 
Customer

bellina 'Big Green'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:54 pm 
Customer

bellina 'Wild'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:34 am 

RandyT wrote:
Walton,
I think that 'Ponkan' is 'Country Acres' x 'Bonsall'. I seem to recall it in an article a few years ago in the Orchid Digest authored by Hugo Freed.

Randy - You are exactly correct; that is Ponkan's parentage. Now...onto other things,

WOW, man! I *was* going to post a photo of a "wild-type" bellina soon, but yours is so much better I'm not sure it's worth wasting the poor pixels!

Furthermore, what in Heaven's name is the background of that stunning second flower ("wild") in your post from yesterday?

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Talk about something really old. This is Phal bellina 'Country Acres' x self from I-Hsin Orchids. The original owner passed away and the new owner does not want to keep these species not useful for flower market breeding.

Flower is 6 x 7.2 cm

I'm hoping the new owner will make a selfing of this so there will be more bellina

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:30 am 
Customer

Walton,
The 'Wild' one came from Louisiana Orchid Connection. I don't know it's origin. So far, nothing has held with it or on it....but I keep trying.

I forgot to add to the post for you. The splash of color in the petals of your coerulea bellina will very likely go away on subsequent bloomings. I had some in the coerulea stain from Main Show, but they went away in later blooms if the plant was stronger.

Glad you're getting the lowdown on the breeding of KS bellinas. Please post!

Peter,
Whatever happened to the Wild type from Joseph Wu? I thought that was incredible.

for what it's worth...if my memory is correct....'Country Acres' was first thought to be a violacea because the shape was so good for the time, not as bowlegged laterals or upswept petals. Both 'Country Acres' and 'Bonsall' were jungle collected. There was a strain (Wahlburn's strain?) on the East coast that was supposedly collected in the same area that was very good too.

I see that the Country Acres self has pods...........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:27 pm 

Randy, Peter, et al:

Indeed I am going to *try* to put together a spreadsheet of all the "significant" bellina background parentages that I can track down. I've already got a good lead on the original alba that Dr. Gavino Rotor exhibited (I believe it made the front cover of the AOS Bulletin many years ago...). That plant has zero micholitzii in it, so it is significant. It will take me a few years to do this, but I swear I will get it done.

Goodness gracious, Peter, we all agree that the 'Country Acres' selfing is amazing and hopeful that those pods involved other bellina! Huge...and shapely! Wow. Next time someone doesn't want it for "commercial" reasons, I think we could find a home for it.

I earlier said that I was not going to post my photo of a wild-type bellina since Randy's was so good, but I changed my mind for this reason: I want to emphasize how good Randy's is. Peter, this one is from your recent offering and is indeed beautiful, but not, at least as a first-bloom, as fetching as Randy's. In the photo, it is accompanied, left-to-right, by Zheng Min Muscadine 'Queen' fading from very, very old age (it used to be quite more yellow), then to the right side in the photo a first bloom sun-bright yellow from Yin's Bellina Kaiulani x LD's Bear Queen, and then a bellina coerulea that simply refuses to photograph correctly: on this flowering, the background color is true emerald green and the blue is closer to blue/black. On the right-most side of the photo, the "wild" type first bloom I was so happy with for several days...until Randy had to go and post that magnificent beast of his! Sigh: I'll still keep this one and see what the years may yet bring. On it's first bloom, it is clearly-colored and just past 7cm VNS.

Best to all,
Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:21 pm 
Customer

Walton,
Both your coerulea and wild type are excellent. I also got some of the wild ones from Peter, still in spike and a couple not spiking yet. Something to look forward to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next