PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Phalaenopsis bellina trying to be peloric

Posting this to sell on eBay auction.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Phalaenopsis bellina trying to be peloric
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:44 pm 

Peter -

I also had the same situation with my best-shaped WO-BB on both its first bloom and again on its second bloom. As predicted as a possibility by Randy T., however, the peloria disappeared...at least on the third flower. The plant is in bud again and I am anxious to see what happens with the fourth flower. On mine, the peloria included keels on the laterals that were so high and yellow that it almost looked like they were trying to make pollen. Personally (and this is just my own musing...), I think we have to remember that these are F3. We know what happened to Cattleya mossiae when the cut-flower mega-nurseries from about the mid 1940's forward hit F7 by alternating selfing and sibling crosses -- vigor stopped, production dropped dramatically, and all sorts of odd thingys happened. This is part of why I am trying so hard to chart out the lineage of the most commonly used bellina parents and why, some day, I am going to put my old friend Frank into locks and chains, if that is what it takes, in front of his stud books to trace everything he has done from 'Country Acres' and 'Bonsall' all the way up to 'Krull's Perfection' and 'Crystelle'. I am concerned that we are getting too inbred with bellina and not even knowing it, because so very, very many cultivars in different parts of the world can claim either 'Country Acres' or 'Bonsall' (or both, through 'Ponkan') as their lineage. "New blood" will soon be very important, if not positively essential: stories of some plants of F3 and F5 bellina being slow to grow are credible and worth thinking about. Sorry to be so long-winded in this note, but this part of things is very important to old folks like me!

Walton

Dorothy Parker