(817) 754-0465

It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Slc Circle of Life x sib
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:47 am 
Customer

Don't remember who I got this from. First bloom, although I thought the seller said it was selected when I bought it. It was the entire plant w/o any prior blooms when I got it. A little color break on the inner parts of the petals, I find this common in Circle of Life and it's hybrids. Good size and color for blooming in my greenhouse. I think l'll keep it. Image

Post subject: Re: Slc Circle of Life x sib
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:23 pm 

Beautiful Randy. The bloom looks larger than I thought they were.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 am 

Randy -

Congratulations on a "keeper."

I got my sib cross from Carter and Holmes. I don't remember which was pollen/pod, but it was 'Trailblazer x Mesmerize'.

Yours is beautiful. I have come to expect a little color streaking from this entire line of breeding -- some years more prevalent than others, but the over-all impression is pretty darned good.

Did you get any of the sib cross of Gene Crocker? There may be a little streaking in some of those, but there could be some very special things from that sib cross (first to flower have been intriguing).

Walton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Walton. I got couple seedlings of Gene Crocker years ago. They are beautiful reds. I have one in bloom for months from three leaf growths ?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57 am 
Customer

Walton,
I got this maybe 2-3 years ago. It just said Slc. Circle of Life x Sib. No number or varietal names. I don't even remember who I got this from so I don't know if from the East or West coast. I know a number of breeders sib crossed selected ones including Frank Fordyce. As this is blooming now for the first time, I don't think it's from Frank. Could very well be from Carter and Holmes.

I saw some from Frank Fordyce's sib cross and some didn't have streaking. Amazing size and color, but it was grown by a good grower and his place is quite cool. That's Ben Oliveros in the Big Island.

I've heard the 'Trailblazer' often contributes to the streaking. The streaking in the progeny sometimes appears on one blooming and then disappears on the next bloom. I haven't figured out if it is weather related, but I'd suspect it was related to temperature.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:50 am 

Lovely large flower Randy. The color is superb and the shape is excellent!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Beautiful - I love Slc.

Flickr!
Album Homepage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:07 am 
Customer

Thanks Doreen and Sylvi. I love Slc but it it too hot to grow and bloom them well where I live. But I keep trying..........

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:36 am 

RandyT wrote:
Walton,
I got this maybe 2-3 years ago. It just said Slc. Circle of Life x Sib. No number or varietal names. I don't even remember who I got this from so I don't know if from the East or West coast. I know a number of breeders sib crossed selected ones including Frank Fordyce. As this is blooming now for the first time, I don't think it's from Frank. Could very well be from Carter and Holmes.

I saw some from Frank Fordyce's sib cross and some didn't have streaking. Amazing size and color, but it was grown by a good grower and his place is quite cool. That's Ben Oliveros in the Big Island.

I've heard the 'Trailblazer' often contributes to the streaking. The streaking in the progeny sometimes appears on one blooming and then disappears on the next bloom. I haven't figured out if it is weather related, but I'd suspect it was related to temperature.

Hello all...if the plant came from C&H, the label would probably have the parents name on it and it would definitely have C&H's name on the label, so there's one clue. I got a good chuckle out of your mention of Ben Oliveros...it has been years since I have seen him. Ben and I used to live in the Atlanta area at the same time; indeed he is a ridiculously good grower and a funny, gentle soul. I so envy his ability to grow Columbian Miltonias in that cooler, higher elevation...no wonder his coccinea breeding does so well for him. A note about the various strains of Gene Crocker: these were bred from Newberry Delight, which is Beaufort x Edisto. The Beaufort in question is 'Harford's Elmwood', a polypoid mutation, and the Edisto is 'Newberry', which is often the most red cultivar from thousands of seedlings grown and hundreds that we actually flowered out at C&H. If you could get your hands on Newberry Delight 'Mendenhall', I suggest that you might consider trying it with your Circle of Life -- Newberry Delight has a good strong stem on most of the cross and is highly fertile (parent of Gene Crocker).

Peter -- do you have pictures of your red Gene Crockers?
Best to all,
Walton