(817) 754-0465

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: As suggested by UR1, an assortment; these seldom seen
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:08 am 

As suggested by UR1, here are a few photos of cattleyas. Only the first one is a photo with a "real" camera ... sorry for the small size of the others. I do now (finally) have access to a better camera and I promise better photos down the road. For now:

The yellow is (Emily Simmons 'Mendenhall', AM/AOS x Fortune 'Grandview', AM/AOS). I named it after my grandmother.

I especially wish I had a larger, better picture of the "three generations" of purples photo, since this one shot kind of captures decades of work at Carter and Holmes. On the upper right is Lc. Catawba 'Mendenhall', made way, way back when by Bill Carter. Bottom front is Blc. Mem. James Walton Ray '#1' (I named this one after my father). The upper left hand flower is Blc. Lynn Spooner 'Mendenhall', made by Gene Crocker and named after a wonderful lady in the Low Country of South Carolina.

Next up, the red is a summer-time-heat flowering of the original plant of Rugeley's Mill 'Mendenhall'. Oddly, when it flowers in the winter, the lip is often deeply cut and the color not as red. The summer flowering is always deeper red and the lip more full (it is still cut, but the lobes overlap).

Blc. Mem. James Walton Ray is (Raye Holmes 'Raleigh' x Mem. Crispin Rosales 'Pine Knot', AM/AOS). Interestingly, the Mem. Crispin Rosales is from the original strain made many, many years ago by Ben Bracey. It is still my favorite Mem. Crispin Rosales, both for the plant itself and the fact that it has never made just an average cross...all of its crosses are very fine and, although a full-sized standard, seedlings from this tend to flower in 4" pots for their debut (I believe the original plant flowered in a 3" pot for the first time and got its AM/AOS in a 4" pot!).

Thanks for the imploration, UR1; I just wish I had been able to use a better camera for some of these photos.

Best regards to all,
Walton

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dorothy Parker

Post subject: Re: As suggested by UR1, an assortment; these seldom seen
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Thank you for sharing. They are beautiful.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:22 am 

Thanks Walton, Lovely. :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Oh how beautiful they are! So sad I am not a good cattleya grower...

Flickr!
Album Homepage

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:06 pm 

Thanks to all; I do love my cattleyas.

Having said that...I did do a "poll" of my neighbors today with Phal. bellina 'Ponkan' and a (really huge) first-bloom of bellina 'Krull's Perfection." I was not surprised by the results of the "poll..."

50% preferred 'Ponkan' (stem from the original) and 50% preferred 'Krull's Perfection." Both plants opened on the same day. Both had the same lighting. Those who preferred 'Ponkan' cited its (my words for theirs...) "classic form." Those who preferred 'Krull's Perfection' went immediately for the huge size and "dramatic" color.

My opinion: all of my neighbors all correct! They are both very fine cultivars.

I now find myself in an unexpected conundrum: onto which bellina will visit pollen from Phal. Mituo Prince 'Chih Ming'? *If* I can find the time to get to Apopka before Redland and select from the few remaining 'Ponkan' (before it is possible that all them are swiped up at Redland)...perhaps...I will make both crosses! Who does not like a "control experiment?"

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:50 pm 

Just saw this, truly wonderful group and so well grown. The colors on Cats are amazing and to me is the big draw. I have one at the moment to see if it will live in my environment. Thanks again!
Ross

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:12 am 

UR1 wrote:
Just saw this, truly wonderful group and so well grown. The colors on Cats are amazing and to me is the big draw. I have one at the moment to see if it will live in my environment. Thanks again!
Ross

Thanks, Ross. I agree about the attraction of such a huge range of colors in cattleyas, plus there are top-shelf quality cultivars (both of species and hybrids) that allow for flowers in any month of the year, plus many (like all of those pictured above) are powerfully fragrant. They do tend to take up a lot of space, though, but somehow all their assets make it worth it. Good luck with your plant!
Walton

Dorothy Parker