(817) 754-0465

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Procatavola (BEPI.) Golden Peacock "Orange"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 am 

This is the first time it's bloomed for me, and I love it.

(BC. Richard Mueller X Prosthechea vitellina)

very happy with the conditions I give my Phals. A album of more pics.

Post subject: Re: Procatavola (BEPI.) Golden Peacock "Orange"
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:15 am 

Very interesting breeding and so well grown. Beautiful, strong upright spike. I have not seen plants bred from vitellina that didn't have spots on the leaf tips. Congratulations.

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:21 am 
Customer

Gorgeous!!! This is a stunning clone.

Walton, I think the B. nodosa in the Richard Mueller takes care of the leaf tip problem. I've seen this grown quite well in Honolulu, but many vitellina and it's hybrids are difficult here. It's too hot year round.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 am 

WaltonInlet wrote:
Very interesting breeding and so well grown. Beautiful, strong upright spike. I have not seen plants bred from vitellina that didn't have spots on the leaf tips. Congratulations.

Walton

Thank you, This plant has inspired me to look further into the Bc. Richard Mueller hybrids. I have had this plant for about 9 months, and there is a second spike forming. I've seen some impressive specimen plants online, and can't wait for this plant to mature some.

RandyT wrote:
Gorgeous!!! This is a stunning clone.

Walton, I think the B. nodosa in the Richard Mueller takes care of the leaf tip problem. I've seen this grown quite well in Honolulu, but many vitellina and it's hybrids are difficult here. It's too hot year round.

Thank you, My only disappointment is that it has no detectable scent. I was hoping that with the B.nodosa lineage, it would have some scent, but oh well.

As for growing conditions, I can imaging Honolulu would be too hot. I would describe my growing conditions as somewhere between cool to intermediate, and I've read people having issues with some of the warmer regions, however it is thought that the B.nodosa does give the plant a much greater heat tolerance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 am 
Customer

NH-
H and R Nurseries sometimes has a lot of Richard Mueller hybrids. I think the Laelia milleri in the RM cancels out the nodosa's fragrance. However, some hybrids using RM are fragrant such as Yellow Bird and Golden Tang.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:21 pm 

RandyT wrote:
NH-
H and R Nurseries sometimes has a lot of Richard Mueller hybrids. I think the Laelia milleri in the RM cancels out the nodosa's fragrance. However, some hybrids using RM are fragrant such as Yellow Bird and Golden Tang.

Thanks for that, I'll definitely be looking for more come spring. Yellow Bird, Rustic Spots and Sunset Glory have been pretty high on the wishlist, just need to wait for spring now (too cold to risk shipping at this point).

As for no scent, it makes me kinda sad most don't have a scent, but I guess it is much better to have no scent than to have a scent you can't stand. I lost all interest in Miltoniopsis because the scent is so overwhelming that it turns my stomach just being around it. (I've heard some have a less powerful scent, but I just don't care to find out now)