(817) 754-0465

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: C. Athena Chagaris ‘Orchidhaven’
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:17 pm 
Customer

My friend's plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RandyT on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: C. Athena Chagaris ‘Orchidhaven’
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 am 
Customer

My first bloom, 19 cm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:23 pm 

Holy cow. That's HUGE and beautiful. Nice, Randy. Looks a more "stylish" version of Mary Lynn McKenzie 'Nature's Masterpiece'.

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:02 pm 
Customer

Thanks Walton. Does this compare with 'Mendenhall'? This plant grows like a weed.

I just put C. Sierra Blanca 'Mt. Whitney' (Athena Chagaris x Norton Benis) on it.

I just got 'Nature's Masterpiece'. It's a small piece so I won't see it flower for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:33 am 

Randy -

'Mendenhall' is rounder and much smaller (6", if you're lucky). It does, however, have one of my favorite traits: a very, very tall and strong spike that never needs staking. Doesn't hurt matters that it always flowers at Christmas. It also grows like an invasive weed. It has not been used much in breeding. Your cross should be something really special; plus, let's face it, it is great to see anyone doing white breeding these days. There is STILL work to be done on white cattleyas after all these years and your cross is progress-in-the-making. Perhaps you would have better luck than some other folks with 'Nature's Masterpiece' as a parent. I have seen it flower in a wide range of conditions (Taylor Orchids in Michigan, and here in Central Florida) and it is always stunning; unfortunately, everyone I have spoken to who has used it as a parent says that its seedlings are not as good as we would want.

Have you ever heard of Sierra Blanca 'Bishop'? I can find no reference to it as a cultivar...anywhere. I am working up an appraisal of a stud collection now and there are multiple plants of 'Mt. Whitney', including possibly the original plant, and a few plants of 'Bishop'. I may just have to wait to see it flower to put a value on the cultivar itself, but if it turns out to be fine...and rare, that would of course raise its value. If 'Bishop' is really nice, I might talk the owner into a sib cross.

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:32 pm 
Customer

Never heard of Sierra Blanca 'Bishop'. It should be very intresting. I've never seen any other SB besides 'Mt. Whitney'.

I wonder is something like Athena Chagaris 'Mendenhall' was used to breed Sierra Blanca. If anyone knows which one was used I'd love to know. Sierra Blanca 'Mt. Whitney' has great shape, even on an average bloom, but not especially large.

Very few folks breeding anything here in Hawaii, at least not like before. There used to be probably over an hundred folks fooling around with stuff before. I was very fortunate to have met some of them before they passed.

At least Peter, Ben, Mike, Rob, CJ and others are breeding Phalies....and Jim with his killer bellinas......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:05 pm 

Randy -

100 % agreed on the good luck to have met some of the Elders, if I may call them such. I mean, the REALLY old people like Bill and Mary Ellen Carter and Owen Holmes and Mr. Miyamoto and...Bill and Susan Fender (I can get away with taxonomically calling them that because they do not watch this forum). :lol: :lol: :lol:

We are indeed fortunate. We are also willing to pass along what we learnt, but...to whom? There are so few youngun's interested in breeding (for the *right* reasons...a-HEM); who do we "mentor?" Especially among big, smelly, ruffled, big, robust, fragrant, big, vigorous big cattleyas.

I've known Ben O. since he was Ben L. and just a good ole Georgia cracker. I could probably have bounced him on my knee at the time. I don't know what you think/know about him, but ... I think his keen mind itself is probably what the old timers would look for: a willing sponge. I hope that he is still a good man. I saw him this year at Redland and it re-ignited my embers to share the combination of formal lessons and those lessons found on the bench when you made a cross that was a guaranteed 100% FCC/AOS cross, only to have to back up the pick-up truck to the greenhouse and dump the whole cross into the lake behind Carter and Holmes: Sharing what was shared with us, grand -- and humbling -- (no finer moment, for me at least).

I have wondered much about the parent of Sierra Blanca. For now I have the entire, original thick pad of the Stewart/Armacost stud book. There is no reference to which plant made Sierra Blanca (sadly), but I can assure you that it was not 'Mendenhall'.

Best regards,
Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:17 am 
Customer

I met Ben O. when he was changing from Ben L. And yes, a great catt mind and from what I've seen (in magazines) and heard, a fabulous collection. Haven't been to his place yet.

He probably knows a bit about Phals too. He used to work for Peach State.