All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Laelia anceps var. delicata 'LASCA'
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Laelia anceps

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Laelia anceps
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:44 am 

One of my all-time favorites, and yours is unusually beautiful. May I ask, does this have anceps 'Marble Queen' ( a chance 4n mutation of 'Oaxaca') in its background?

Beautiful.

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Thank you for asking Walton. This has a cultivar name. I just need to take a look.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 am 
Customer

Stunning variety. anceps don't do well for me, it's too hot here so the flowers are small and not as floriferous as it can be. I used to get 3 flowers at the most, but usually 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 am 

Randy -

Do you have a plant of the 4n version of 'Irwin's', AM/AOS? They do grow so, so much more easily and the spikes are huge. If you do not have a division (there were many chance 4n's from the tissue of the original 2n parent), I would be glad to look into ... "arrangements" (no exchange of currency involved). You may have to share the division with...Peter ! ?, although heaven only knows where he could fit it in even using a shoe-horn (it does grow larger than the 2n). About which...

Not to get too far off topic, but regarding temperature, we had the opposite problem at C&H, but anceps LOVED it. We had the original plant of 'Irwin's' mounted on a huge-normous tree fern log, at least six feet long, and over many years, the plant covered a lot of the log. One year...I cannot remember the exact number...I got something like 12 spikes on this plant. The longest spikes were six feet long, so the plant had a natural spread of nearly 12 feet. One spike had five flowers and the largest was exactly six inches across, so I put the plant in a Ford Econoline van -- with quite a bit of effort! -- and took it to judging hoping to both elevate the flower quality award and cough up the money for the obvious CCM. Two judges, who shall remain nameless but I assume have never grown an anceps in their lives, found teensy-weensy brown spots on the tips of several leaves. No award; none at all. I had even tied a little piece of paper around the one 6" flower to call attention to it. I drove back to Newberry not very happy!

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 am 
Customer

Walton,
I never tried 4n anceps, but I don't want to go in that direction. The anceps I did grow was a cloned 'Irwin's', lol, I think from C and H. Thank you for the offer!

Post subject: Laelia anceps var. delicata 'LASCA'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Name update. Finally took a few step to see what the tag is.

This is Laelia anceps var. delicata 'LASCA' - I had it since 2010 from my customer Martin Brick here

Old photo from 2010 is shared here

http://www.bigleaforchids.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9524

I only keep a few Laelia anceps. They are mounted on cork tube. I was going to grow them outdoor but I don't trust myself for keeping up with watering.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Laelia anceps var. delicata 'LASCA'
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 am 

peterlin wrote:
Name update.

I only keep a few Laelia anceps. They are mounted on cork tube. I was going to grow them outdoor but I don't trust myself for keeping up with watering.

Thanks, Peter. I'm glad to see you got one of the 4n 'Irwin's' mutations as well. I was not familiar with your beautiful pink-toned cultivar. Super, super classy flower.

I remember seeing anceps growing on the base of a tree right outside the entrance to the old Santa Barbara Orchid Estate many years ago. It was very happy, but I suspect that it was located near a water hose for ease of maintenance ! Especially during the season when growths are moving fast and roots are going crazy, if mounted on cork or a tree ... I do not think you can water anceps too much. I have often thought that it really appreciates a dormant period; in fact, that plant I mentioned earlier with a 12-foot span between flowers, we used to move it in the Fall from a warmer stud house into the same house we used to "treat" Dendrobium aggregatum, jenkensii, loddigesii, etc. to both cool and dry conditions for best flowers.

Congrats on a wonderful cultivar. I know that you are super-dedicated to your space for phals. and paphs., but if you ever get the itch for a cross with your delicata anceps, perhaps it would make a really lovely strain of either Lc. Twilight Song or Lc. Puppy Love!

Walton

Dorothy Parker