(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Redland Vandaceous Finds
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 am 

There were some nice goodies in the Vandaceous realm at Redland this year; here are a few that I found a home for...

Vanda denisoniana. Krull Smith had a good strain with many, many plants to choose from. A few had the "hebraica" markings, and a couple fully mature were still quite green. There were a couple like this one with a slightly more broad lip and slightly deeper green front lobe.
Attachment:
V. denisoniana Large Photo.JPG

Trichoglottis ionosma var. alba, from r.f. Orchids. I've seen an intergeneric hybrid using the normal color form; I want to try this and hope the nuclear-bright yellow spots remain yellow instead of reverting to brown (this is from a selfing of an alba, so perhaps the chances are somewhat better). It is lightly fragrant, but a pleasant fragrance.
Attachment:
Trichoglottis ionosma alba Large Photo.JPG

Phal/Sedirea japonica. To my pleasant surprise (since I was focused on other Phals...), I came across this one in the Wu tent. They had a number to choose from. This one is larger than most and, on the fully open flowers, rather more flat, especially in the lip. The younger flowers on this plant are cupped like normal, but as they age, they do flatten out on this one (the color on the left petal was just a bruise from travel). I love japonica hybrids and have already put this one to work 8) .
Attachment:
Sedirea japonica Large Photo.JPG

Renanthera monachica. Also from Wu. They had a group to select from. This one is no FCC, but it was branching already on first bloom and fairly full shape for a plant tired from its travels; I have a fragrant strain that I needed new blood for, so ... it soon will also find "work." Its color was not unlike the Shrimp Diablo at my favorite restaurant in the Redland area (Puerto Vallarta). If any of y'all are looking for someplace new and quick to find next year at Redland, Puerto Vallarta could not be more easily found: just continue East on Coconut Palm (232) until it dead-ends into the restaurant at US1. Huge menu, huge flavors, nearly zero parking (be prepared -- you may have to park in the woods behind the restaurant).
Attachment:
Ren. monachica Large Photo.JPG

Walton

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dorothy Parker

Post subject: Re: Redland Vandaceous Finds
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Nice. There are a lot I can learn from you on picking these. There were so many plants to be purchased but so little time and I just felt impatient from heat and humidity.

Profile Personal album