(817) 754-0465

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: what phals would you mount?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:45 pm 
Customer

what novelty phals beside the obvious, parishii, deliciosa, lobbii, equestris, would you consider good phals to mount.

Post subject: Re: what phals would you mount?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Species from Philippines like lindenii philippinensis and their F1 hybrid with marble foliage are good candidates for mounting.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:00 pm 
Customer

Peter, its interesting that you suggest a ledennii, was just admiring your golden ambion x ledenii,(thinking that i have to get a nice ledenii) do you think this hybrid would do well mounted, also might you have any ledenii or do you expect to get any.
lm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:18 am 
Site Admin

We grow both - Phal. parishii and lobbii mounted in our vivarium, they like it :) - oh, and I forgot, Phal. deliciosa, too.

Flickr!
Album Homepage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:15 am 
Site Admin

penangirl wrote:
Peter, its interesting that you suggest a ledennii, was just admiring your golden ambion x ledenii,(thinking that i have to get a nice ledenii) do you think this hybrid would do well mounted, also might you have any ledenii or do you expect to get any.
lm

In theory, you can mount just about all Phalaenopsis because they are epiphytes. But my target are ones that don't do well potted. I said these mottled foliage because they really don't like wet roots for longer than 3 days. If my collection is smaller, I would have these in bark mix and water them more frequently. But that's not practical in my setup.

Another group of Phalaenopsis I had trouble is small species. Two types - one (Phal appendiculata) that needs warm and moist all time. The other type (Phal wilsonii) that can tolerate longer period without water - yet still need fast and quick wet/dry cycle.

I've used small 1.7 inch pot for these. But my greenhouse is drier in the winter time. I cannot keep up watering these 1.7 inch pot. Larger pot will not work because it means roots stay wet longer.

You really need to know what works for you. One way to know is to experiment. This is why I am excited to try kool-logs. The evaporative cooling concept is not new. But I like that a water reservoir is there for me to fill up the logs when needed - and moss will not dry up and difficult to rewet as quickly. I will still mist the plants when I water. Also I'm trying to find a method that works for these challenging phals year round. Tight moss one-hole disposable clear pot works for most of my phals - except mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:31 pm 
Customer

thankyou for the info peter, very helpful. I have been mounting more orchids as of late with more success, due mostly to a stronger conviction to water them daily, even though my grow is always 60% or higher humidity, if i dont water daily death is pretty imminent.
lm'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:55 am 
Customer

To add the the species already mentioned, I'd mount schilleriana and stuartiana. I haven't had sanderiana long enough to tell with this species. If I had celebensis again, I'd mount it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 pm 

peterlin wrote:
penangirl wrote:
lm

In theory, you can mount just about all Phalaenopsis because they are epiphytes. But my target are ones that don't do well potted. I said these mottled foliage because they really don't like wet roots for longer than 3 days. If my collection is smaller, I would have these in bark mix and water them more frequently. But that's not practical in my setup.

Another group of Phalaenopsis I had trouble is small species. Two types - one (Phal appendiculata) that needs warm and moist all time. The other type (Phal wilsonii) that can tolerate longer period without water - yet still need fast and quick wet/dry cycle.

I've used small 1.7 inch pot for these. But my greenhouse is drier in the winter time. I cannot keep up watering these 1.7 inch pot. Larger pot will not work because it means roots stay wet longer.

You really need to know what works for you. One way to know is to experiment. This is why I am excited to try kool-logs. The evaporative cooling concept is not new. But I like that a water reservoir is there for me to fill up the logs when needed - and moss will not dry up and difficult to rewet as quickly. I will still mist the plants when I water. Also I'm trying to find a method that works for these challenging phals year round. Tight moss one-hole disposable clear pot works for most of my phals - except mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Can you please let me know how the Kool-logs works? Recently, I happen to come across while researching mounts, and read about Kool-logs. Looking forward to hear from you. :) ((waving))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:49 pm 

I do not know whether if chibae x deliciosa primary species is an eligible candidate for mounted orchids. I provide daily misting,humidity and light. I decided to turn the lights off so I will try to see how it goes :))

One thing that scares me is the fact that it is so big and you can't really pot it.