(817) 754-0465

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Potential new potting medium
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:56 am 

I have been a discount reseller of Hydrofarm products for years, and even though I don't do a lot of that any more, I still get their product release emails. Most are focused more on pot growers that anything else, but I got this today, and it looks like it might be a decent medium.

It has a suggested retail of $75.95 for a 70#, 3.8 cubic feet compressed bale, and ought to expand greatly, so if it's any good, it ought to be pretty economical.

I am not in a position to purchase and try it any longer, but if anyone wishes to experiment, and doesn't have a Hydrofarm account (they only sell wholesale to distributors), I'd be happy to arrange a drop-shipment.

Post subject: Re: Potential new potting medium
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 am 

I'm already growing some non-fussy Phalaenopsis orchid hybrids in this kind of potting medium successfully. It's being sold here in Sweden as an orchid potting mix, but it's more or less just pre-rinsed coconut coir with some fertilizer added. A bit more chunky than the illustration of the type you posted. It seems to hold moisture well but still not being too compact, and letting a lot of air through. But I probably wouldn't put any orchid in it that would need to dry out completely (I have some which love larger bark chips to wrap their roots around).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Potential new potting medium
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:45 am 

I wouldn't say it's a replacement for sphagnum moss either, just to be clear from my point of view. I'd put it somewhere in between of moss and finer bark chips when it comes to holding moisture. I have a colleague at work who is growing chili pepper plants in it, and in her growing conditions she needs to water every day since it dries out very quickly, whereas I only water once or a couple of times a week. So I guess it depends on environmental factors as well...