(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: My Foray into Semi-Hydroponics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:08 am 
Customer

Ben Belton wrote:
I took some pictures. I'm not sure its very helpful because I need before and after pictures. I need to try to do that. Also most of these have only been repotted about 2 months so there haven't been huge changes. Still, we all know our plants and know when they are doing well.

This is a seedling from a compot I purchased from Peter. I had moved it from the compot to an individual 2.25" pot in May. From that pot, I moved it to this s/h 8oz beer cup December 1. When I moved it, it had the usual few skinny baby roots. You can see what is has done in just less than 2 months. One of the parents of this is John Ewing 'Gosh' which is one of the most miserably slow growing plants you can have. It has started to really take off though.

This is a lueddemanniana that has already bloomed this year. You can see at the arrow some roots coming around the edge of the pot. Despite having bloomed a couple months ago, there are 10 new buds in this picture. It also has a new leaf.

This is a stem of Dragon Tree Eagle. Not a fast growing plant. I moved it here 11-20-11 from a 2.25" pot. You can see a new leaf started and all the roots starting to come out. (no, I don't have another :D )

This is a stem of Japan Peach. It was moved from 2.25" pot to this 3.5" pot on 11-10-11. You can see the new leaf and all the roots. Looks awesome.

This is a seedling of Yungho Gelblitz flava x Joy Dreamy Jade from a flask I bought from Peter. These have been exceptionally vigorous. I deflasked this one into a 2.25" pot in June and then into this 3.5" s/h pot 12-30-11. It was finishing a new leaf it had started when I moved it, and you can see another has formed. You can tell the new one is going to be huge.

Ben, it seems like most of the ones you moved to S/H have violacea or bellina in them. Do you think they are better suited than other species?

Cheers.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:05 am 
Customer

DelawareJim wrote:
Ben, it seems like most of the ones you moved to S/H have violacea or bellina in them. Do you think they are better suited than other species?

Hey,

This is just coincidence. I've moved over 100 plants to s/h and these just happen to be the ones I took pictures of. I didn't think anything about what the plant was. I just grabbed it and repotted. FWIW as someone who is pretty exclusively into novelty Phals, you'd be hard pressed to find any hybrid I have that doesn't have violacea or bellina in it anyway. :D

I've repotted my mini-antelope Dens into s/h too. They seem to be doing fine, but grow slower than Phals. I'm babying them.

Ben

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 pm 
Customer

DelawareJim wrote:
Call_Me_Bob wrote:
What color is your clivia miniata Jim? I have one I got from a friend's friend that breeds them selectively. Mine is almost white, with a faint yellow tint. It's blooming now. I should try s/h on it!

I have a few orchids in s/h. I have some noid Reed stem epidendrums, a Paph, and two Phals, one is a hybrid (long name) and the other is a schilleriana. All of the plants I have in it are loving it. I'm going to be moving over my maxillaria tenuifolia and a Phal balsdans kaleidoscope sometime soon, and maybe a cattleyas division.

The Clivia is a Solomone Yellow. My wife got it for my 40th birthday. I've wanted a yellow Clivia since I was 10, but they were at least $500 each back then and only botanic gardens and people like the duPonts and Vanderbilts had them. Now I've got 6 different yellows, 5 of which I grew from seed I got from a grower in South Africa for a couple dollars.

Cheers.
Jim

thats a nice one!! mine looks like this. http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X ... 29,r:3,s:0

just for experimental sake, i crossed it with a noid hippeastrum, to see what happens. and im going to self this one as well :D

Post subject: My Foray into Semi-Hydroponics
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:23 pm 
Customer

DelawareJim wrote:
I grow almost everything I have in S/H except my Neos and Phals and some various seedlings. I am trialing some Neo divisions of the wild type and Amami island in S/H and so far, so good. Paphs, Phrags, and Oncidiums go crazy in it and my houseplants are much easier to care for now. My Ficus, Clivias, Palms, Hoyas, Pothos, Philodendrons, and African Violets love it. I'm in the process of moving some Hippeastrums into it on the recommendation of a contact in Colorado who grows all his this way.

The only plant that hasn't done well for me is my Paphs. I kept losing them during the winter. Ray says it's because the lower temps in winter and evaporative cooling in the root zone might be too cold for them. My house gets down into the upper 50's to 60 at night in the winter and I think it's just too cold for them. I'm able to keep them alive in bark over the winter so they stay in that.

I use both Ray's PrimeAgra and Hydroton. I've found that the PrimeAgra wicks better and doesn't float as much as Hydroton, but after the roots get going, they lock the Leca in and Hydroton doesn't float anymore. In the long run, I think I need to flush a little more thoroughly with the PrimeAgra as it seems to hold mineral deposits or fert salts a bit more strongly. Nothing that rain or R/O water doesn't overcome.

Here's a quick pic of my windowsill at work.

Left to right:
Aglaonema (Chinese evergreen), Clivia miniata, Haworthia attenuata, Euphorbia pulcherrima (Poinsettia), Hippeastrum 'Picotee' (just transplanted), Pothos, Sansevieria trifasciata.
The plants are a bit neglected because of my work schedule but still doing prestty well.

On the whole, I highly recommend S/H.

Cheers.
Jim

I think I might be that Colorado contact! Am I? Hehe... I grow 50+ Hippeastrum bulbs in sh and they grow so incredibly well for me this way. It's really something to see. The only problem I have is finding pots big enough for them...they love to spread out their roots and I've come home to a burst pot before, plant balls everywhere, which are a huge pain to clean up.

I grow all of my orchids in sh too and I can confirm the Bellinas do not like it much but they live on a heat mat which helps a lot.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:27 pm 
Customer

DelawareJim wrote:
Call_Me_Bob wrote:
What color is your clivia miniata Jim? I have one I got from a friend's friend that breeds them selectively. Mine is almost white, with a faint yellow tint. It's blooming now. I should try s/h on it!

I have a few orchids in s/h. I have some noid Reed stem epidendrums, a Paph, and two Phals, one is a hybrid (long name) and the other is a schilleriana. All of the plants I have in it are loving it. I'm going to be moving over my maxillaria tenuifolia and a Phal balsdans kaleidoscope sometime soon, and maybe a cattleyas division.

The Clivia is a Solomone Yellow. My wife got it for my 40th birthday. I've wanted a yellow Clivia since I was 10, but they were at least $500 each back then and only botanic gardens and people like the duPonts and Vanderbilts had them. Now I've got 6 different yellows, 5 of which I grew from seed I got from a grower in South Africa for a couple dollars.

Cheers.
Jim

Jim do you hybridize? I love your plant and would love some seeds if the occasion were to arise.

Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:38 pm 
Customer

Here is a quick pic of mine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:48 pm 
Customer

Call_Me_Bob wrote:

Here is a quick pic of mine.

Very nice! Have you transferred to sh yet? Clivias live it too.

Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:20 pm 
Customer

It isn't. I may try it? It might be hard to find a big enough pot!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:45 pm 
Customer

Call_Me_Bob wrote:
It isn't. I may try it? It might be hard to find a big enough pot!

That can be a problem with amaryllis type plants...they like to fill up a pot fast. I once had a hippeastrum bulb do nothing but grow roots into the sh for what felt like months. Then one day it seemed to grow leaves and scapes of flowers over night.

I hope of can find a decent pot. If it helps, I potted mine into a terra pot and bought a deep overflow dish for it...essentially the same idea as the traditional sh pot but I found the civil enjoyed the terra pot more...I think because it kept it cooler.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:22 pm 
Customer

ryan820 wrote:
I think I might be that Colorado contact! Am I? Hehe... I grow 50+ Hippeastrum bulbs in sh and they grow so incredibly well for me this way. It's really something to see. The only problem I have is finding pots big enough for them...they love to spread out their roots and I've come home to a burst pot before, plant balls everywhere, which are a huge pain to clean up.

I grow all of my orchids in sh too and I can confirm the Bellinas do not like it much but they live on a heat mat which helps a lot.

Ryan

Hey Ryan! Yep, self and same. Small world. I think half the regulars I recognise from OB are here too.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten into hybridising Clivias yet as I barely have time for what I have. Each year though, I go to the Clivia symposium at Longwood Gardens and get the urge to have a go at it. I also want to get their Clivia 'Longwood Debutante', but it's a bit out of my range right now. I think my next Clivia will be a variegated daruma type.

I would be interested in trading a fan of 'Solomone Yellow' for a nice white one if someone happened to have some extras lying around. Bob??? :mrgreen:

Cheers.
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:34 pm 
Customer

yeah, they are root and space hogs! lol, im afraid of what will happen next year, i wont have room for it inside anymore!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 pm 
Customer

cjmack wrote:
My entire greenhouse is growing in S/H, even some citrus trees and a banana tree along with many brugmansias and tropicals.

CJ, how cold do you let your S/H phals get?