(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Growing in sphagnum moss
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:15 am 
Customer

loujost wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I think the advice people gave above is really good and I agree with it. I am just trying to get at the reasons why it works. I want to say that the situation is more complex than some of the following statements suggest:

"...avoid roots sitting in water"

"The center of the pot has the least air movement. Roots suffocate as easily as they drown."

"...if you were to take a plant that had been mounted and put all those roots that are suited to being mounted and put them in water and keep them like that, those roots would surely die!"

It turns out that these things are not exactly true. Roots can sit in water without dying, even roots that grew up hanging in mid-air, and air movement (as opposed to gas diffusion through water) is not needed. Roots do not necessarily suffocate or drown when immersed in water. And the water does not need to flow.

Later when my camera charges I will post a picture of a counter-example to those statements: a flat-rooted Phal (supposedly the kind most sensitive to soggy medium) whose roots have been in water for years. The water doesn't flow; I haven't even changed the water for a year or so!!!

well put. i just want to point out that i am the one who said "...if you were to take a plant that had been mounted and put all those roots that are suited to being mounted and put them in water and keep them like that, those roots would surely die!" and that i stand corrected, as i mentioned before. and that statement is no longer one that i believe to be true

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:10 pm 
Customer

There is also the green water phenomenon.
If the water stands in too long algae will grow in it. Algae like most plants can do photosynthesis and respiration all at once. Thus allowing new oxygen to the roots of an orchid and a slight water movement.
Algae can start appearing under 3 days in good conditions (proper light and standing water) and could be sufficient to keep a root alive from there by replacing the oxygen if it is what the root needs to keep alive.
But take a higher pot with a smaller diameter and let the algae take over, the roots will die too.
Does the root need air movement? or oxygen? to survive, or am I wrong, I cannot tell.
I am not a botanist and will never say I am.
But these were my observations and those of other growers I've been speaking to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:18 pm 
Customer

Lots of good info in here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:00 pm 

peterlin wrote:
I am on my iPad so I don't like to type a long response with two fingers. But I did take pictures of my Phal sumatrana today that I repotted. I stopped using styrofoam peanuts and this one grew very well too. I just take out the plant from 2.25 inch pot and wrapped it with another layer of moss and place it into a slightly larger pot 3.5 inches.

I pretty much agree with what was said earlier. Best to use 100 percent moss for pot smaller than 4 inches.

What you need to do is to slowly give your plant water. After repot, mist only the top layer when moss gets too dry. Then when you see new root growth, put enough water to wet a third of moss. Say another 2-4 weeks, make sure plant is producing more roots, then increase your water to wet half of the moss. So this process is slow, but ensure that a new repotted plant has time to adjust and to grow new root. Finally when I flush the pot with water completely, the plant is okay because it is acclimated to it. When the moss is thoroughly watered, I don't have to water it again for 2-4 weeks. It does take longer to dry. Can't give you exact time because it vary with growing condition. Don't water if the center of moss is still wet. You can always mist lightly on the top layer of moss if needed. Just don't add more water to moss all the time.

Remember you shouldn't water the moss completely if your growing condition is cool. During the winter month, it's best to wet just the top layer of moss and keep the growing area humid. If you use heat mat, then you can water more because the plant will continue to grow in the winter.

What I said above will not work if you like to water.

Peter Lin

Thank you soooo much!!!!!! Your information about phalaenopsis in a moss pot. You explained sooo beautiful. Water spray, yep, that's the one... :) I've had trouble with it more than 10 years ago. Thank you so much. ((Jumping with Joy))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk