(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: what is your favorite orchid Bloom fertilizer???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:27 am 
Customer

hello, do we have some success's with bloom ferts?
i have not used bloom fertilizer, i have always used msu fertilizer- sometimes i add kelp. I have heard some good things about bloom ferts, and would like to give it ago, especially now when so many plants are coming into bloom or blooming. If you guys have experience with bloom ferts, which ones do you recommend, whose product helps the best with producing more budz, big flowers and of course more fragrant flowers (if there is such a product, i want to try it)
thankyou all
lm

Post subject: Re: what is your favorite orchid Bloom fertilizer???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:31 am 

There is no such thing as a fertilizer that causes or enhances blooming.

If we, as growers, do everything right – light levels, duration, and periodicity, temperatures and temperature variation, humidity, air movement around the plant and its root system, nutrition and watering – we allow the plant to grow and bloom to it’s maximum , genetically-programmed potential. There is nothing we can do that overrides genetics in that respect. On the other hand, any cultural shortfalls can, and likely will hinder the plant from reaching its potential.

Dr. O. Wesley Davidson invented Miracle-Acid (30-10-10) when he was at Rutgers. Being a "high acid" fertilizer, it was deemed good for orchids. Back then, however, people tended to feed their orchids very heavily, so while the growth was great, all that nitrogen quashed blooming.

His later work found that by diluting the nitrogen in that formula by adding cheap phosphorus compounds (Miracle-Grow 15-30-15), it allowed the plant to bloom again. Marketing hype - or maybe it was the hobbyist grape vine - then took over, calling it a "bloom booster", when in fact it merely reduced the effect of a "bloom reducer".

There is a great deal of debate about what is the "best" fertilizer formula, and I don't think there is sufficient information out there to know for sure, as it no-doubt varies all over the map.

I am of the opinion that if you feed a decent, complete formula in very dilute concentrations, applied frequently, you will be doing the best for your plants, and you can focus on all of the other aspects of culture to optimize your plants' growth and blooming.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:55 am 

raybark wrote:

I am of the opinion that if you feed a decent, complete formula in very dilute concentrations, applied frequently, you will be doing the best for your plants, and you can focus on all of the other aspects of culture to optimize your plants' growth and blooming.

Ray, I agree completely. Though I do throw in some dried kelp once a month at far below the recommended concentration. I have noticed a difference in the growth rate of my orchids since I started doing this last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:10 pm 

You should try a liquid kelp product like KelpMax. Drying degrade the hormones tremendously. Granted, there are other nutritional items that might not be, but seaweed products are mostly used for their hormones.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:06 am 

raybark wrote:
You should try a liquid kelp product like KelpMax. Drying degrade the hormones tremendously. Granted, there are other nutritional items that might not be, but seaweed products are mostly used for their hormones.

Thank you Ray. I will check out the liquid kelp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:12 pm 
Customer

Ray, the Kelpmax from you made a huge difference in my orchids' roots: bigger, faster, branching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk