(817) 754-0465

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My New Greenhouse!!!!!........
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:53 pm 
Customer

....... in my basement!!

I moved into my new house in August and set my orchids in the carport. The original plan was to use a sunroom for a greehouse. When it got cold it became evident that this was not going to work. The room did not have heat and heat blown into the room from the house was not enough. I was going to put AC/Heat in the room, but the HVAC guy still hasn't told me which Tuesday he is going to show up. Don't get me started. Also over the course of the fall, the changing sunlight angle proved to be a nightmare. A 12 foot room that only received about 2' of direct sun in August was receiving about 8' of direct light by late fall.

All this on top of trying to look after my dad, get the house settled in, and 1000's other things left me almost at a melt down as the end of November came and Christmas was approaching. My plants were suffering, and I barely had time to water them, much less give them the attention they need.

So as November came, I decided that the sun room was not going to work. Even if it did, the plant stands, future shade cloth, and lights would look like crap from the road. I bought a MH light and a piece of plywood and started to move things downstairs. My plants responded almost instandly to the stronger light, but the problem that has plagued me for 2 years of growing orchids was still present. I had no humidity. I didn't want to put humidity in my basement either because it rots the house. In the end, I now have my basement greenhouse. It is kinda what I thought I would do the whole time, but I am not a mechanical kind of person (even though I have an advanced degree) so, this was a big job for me. I still need to make a door and do some detail work before I can turn the humidifier on, but maybe that will come this week. I plan on adding mylar to the walls to direct more light back to the plants. The ends of the table are a little dim but almost everything is getting at least 800fc light. Also, as soon as I get down to Greensboro, I am going to get an ebb and flow table like Peter and Mike have. I think everything I have is spiking except some of the plants with more violacea or bellina influence and some of them are starting now as well, so something must be going right. There is enough room to add another of these tables and have about 3 feet between for walking space. I also have CO2 equipment from my aquarium hobby that I can use here too. You think my orchids have suffered... you should see the poor plants in my aquarium. The lights are a 400wt 120vt MH with 2 T-5 lights on the end which have 4 bulbs and are 4' wide.

Now maybe I can clean up the rest of my basement, landscape my 1+ acre, re-do the closets, lose 30lbs, wash the truck, hang pictures...........

Someone let me know if the pics are too big. I have a 20" monitor and I try to size them for smaller ones, but I can't tell.

Ben

Post subject: Re: My New Greenhouse!!!!!........
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:26 pm 
Customer

Well holy cow! Someone has seriously stepped it up! Nice job Ben, that's looks great. You have more space than I thought you would. Way to go, congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:08 pm 
Customer

AWESOME! Looks great Ben! I think you need anohter bench to fit more plants.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:24 pm 
Customer

What a great set-up! Lack of humidity is a real problem for me too. This is just such a smart solution.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:04 pm 

Ben,

How much to rent bench space!? Looks like you have lots of room to expand your collection ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:10 pm 
Customer

Haa haaa, Charlie, yes I think Ben is in trouble. He can easily triple that bench space if he wanted to with the addition of a few more lights and some new tables. Let's see what 2008 does for him, but i'd be willing to bet a year from now it is at least doubled. Haa haaaaaaa... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:34 pm 
Customer

I am certain by this coming fall I will have a second setup like this one.

My problem is that many of the plants I have bought over the last year were small stems or similar things from Peter. I'll put my plants outside this summer and the growth they take on it amazing. So even if I don't buy anymore plants this year (like that's going to happen) my collection I'll bet will almost double in size by September.

I'll rent out bench space, but if you are missing any stems, I will be storing them in a flask with John Ewing :-)

Oh.. BTW.. the only casualty of moving all these plants today was a nice fat bud on my Brecko Cordablaze. Stinks because it has been in constant bloom since I received it from Peter in September. It has a great fragrance too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

That is sweet... Things we do to grow orchids.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:29 am 
Customer

LOL!
After seeing the 1st picture of your stud wall (leaning on a post and not yet installed) I thought, "Ben really needs a carpenters square!"
The final product looks great - I'm sure you'll have no problem keepin the humidity up in a space that size as long as it is well sealed - add a few fans and you'll be all set.
Make sure you make back up stems of all your stuff for future trades!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:58 pm 
Customer

Hello Ben,

That looks really nice. I believe you're inspiring several of us who want to have an indoor set up like yours if we cannot have the correct conditions in a conventional greenhouse.

Cheers,

Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:55 pm 
Customer

sharky wrote:
Make sure you make back up stems of all your stuff for future trades!!

ha ha... get your stems ready.... that's already in the works.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:45 pm 
Customer

Nice greenhouse! You must feel a great sense of accomplishment. Congratulations Ben!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Ben,
I like the very flat looking T5 fixtures you have there. What are they and are they 24 inches? From the pictures they don't look like the New Wave 24 fixtures that Mike and I are using.

Peter

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:42 pm 
Customer

I'm pretty sure those T5's are 4' models, holding 4 bulbs each. Not the product by New Wave, something similar though. Ben will have to tell us about them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:44 pm 
Customer

They are 4' with 4 tubes. I think the name is Sun Leaves. Cheaper than the New Wave and the guy at the store assured me they were just as good. He said the only difference was that they did not have vents in the ridges of the reflector. I don't know. So far they work great. The hydrohuts you and Mike have do a good job of reflecting light from the sides. So, that helps you with light. LIke I mentioned, I am going to get some Mylar to put around my walls.

Here you go. I found this. http://www.sunleaves.com/