(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: De-flasking, humidity solution for compots
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:52 am 

JimL wrote:
I love your mini greenhouses...those are perfect. They're just like those domed seedling flats I was talking about.

Thanks Jim! But one should never read in a foreign language early morning..... I read "doomed seedlings" and nearly spit out my morning coffee out of shock.... :o

I like to add that growing Peters seedlings seems to be especially easy because the leaves are already quite firm. I tried it before with seedlings I got on Ebay in 2007. They had very thin leaves that withered almost immediatly when taken out of flask. Maybe they have been pushed with light and temerature to grow too soon? Sadly none of those is around anymore.

When I am away for holidays, my neighbour tends to my plants. She does not care for the seedlings but will only call me, if they start rotting or getting yellow/dark spots all of a sudden (never happend!). So I know that the seedlings can stay for like up to 3 weeks without needing attention. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30770883@N03/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:59 pm 

Thank you for the very informative thread. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Has anybody tried the closed environment with Catts? :?: I have a few flasks I am waiting on of L. anceps and I was wondering if they would appreciate this more than my usual plastic containers with the lid ajar. The L. anceps x Chocolate Drop did very well, as did a large blue Catt cross, but some of the previous Slc. plants did not do as well. I lost a whole flask of L. albida, but they could have already been contaminated before I got them.

Someday (probably not too far away) I will play with Phal. flasks.. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:49 am 
Customer

Jim, hopefully you're still attached to this thread, but I had another question about your algae comments previously. Lately, one of my compots has gone crazy algae. I dont figure it'll harm them, but wanted to be sure, as you commented that a remedy was a repot. I'm attaching a pic, but I'd rather leave them in the compot longer before I do a repot. Should it be ok to just ignore it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

I ordered a mini fogger and took a video of it running. I am expecting to grow better seedlings this winter with warmer temperature indoor and increased humidity from this small fogger.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2714717350650

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm 
Customer

zxyqu wrote:
Jim, hopefully you're still attached to this thread, but I had another question about your algae comments previously. Lately, one of my compots has gone crazy algae. I dont figure it'll harm them, but wanted to be sure, as you commented that a remedy was a repot. I'm attaching a pic, but I'd rather leave them in the compot longer before I do a repot. Should it be ok to just ignore it?

How long has it been in the pot? Algae doesn't seem to hurt in the short run but can speed up the break down of the moss. I don't use clear pots anymore because of algae.

Maybe someone else can comment too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:06 pm 
Customer

The algae really has only recently become noticeably green for about 2-3 weeks. If increased moss breakdown is the worst problem, I'll probably just ignore it for now. Unless someone stresses that it'll harm/slow/affect the pot, I'll hold off on treating them for now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't have any luck with the fogger - half of the seedlings leaves yellowed at the base and fell off. :( Fortunately I was able to save the other 50% of seedlings. I have to get better at growing seedlings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

rangiku wrote:
I didn't have any luck with the fogger - half of the seedlings leaves yellowed at the base and fell off. :( Fortunately I was able to save the other 50% of seedlings. I have to get better at growing seedlings.

So far so good for my setup. But I need to operate this setup for 3-4 months and see how how fast the seedlings grow. It's important to pot the seedlings in lightly moist moss and the leaves are free of water. You can keep the seedlings in this setup for 2 weeks - no water. The humidlity is going to keep the seedlings going. AFter 2 weeks when you water, you could water just enough to keep the top layer of moss wet. Open the lid and let it air dry the leaves before you close the lid.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Peter, I'm glad it's working for you. I just find it very disheartening and disconcerting to keep losing plants despite my best efforts. But, I'll keep trying.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:06 pm 
Customer

I can't seem to get the fogger video to load, but the cage container setup is working great for me! All my compots have shown noticeable growth since I got them from Peter. Even the few that lost the main top leaf due to rot are showing new leaves coming from the center. I dont have the entire setup enclosed as some do above, but again, the pots stay moist for about 2 weeks, before I've gotta water them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:22 pm 
Customer

rangiku wrote:
Peter, I'm glad it's working for you. I just find it very disheartening and disconcerting to keep losing plants despite my best efforts. But, I'll keep trying.

You will learn to grow, Grasshopper! It takes time, experience and failure to learn. I am two years into growing orchids indoors and I can grow them much better now than a year ago. That said, I still have a ways to go to get to the level that I want to be at for an indoor grower.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 pm 
Customer

Jim,

How big are those plastic containers? It looks (and I'm also assuming) these containers have clear lids.

I looked at my local HD but didn't see any with clear lids.

[quote="JimL"]I love your system and it should work very well.

When you get more seedlings, you can put them in plastic containers like this with the cover on. These are also some of Peter's seedlings.

[quote]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:56 pm 
Customer

I found them at K-Mart. They have many different sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:13 pm 
Customer

Just in case you really like croissants and Kroger, I've found a cheaper free solution. Granted you have to eat/need 12 of the croissants as Kroger sells them in dozens, but the container is great. I'm attaching photos, but it's about 20" x 12", and about 7" high, making it just perfect for a whole lot of compots. I used the cake container trick for awhile, but they are small compared to this. Cake container holds 4 maybe 5, but this will easily hold 6-8

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:48 am 
Customer

JimL wrote:
I found them at K-Mart. They have many different sizes.

Thanks Jim. I did find them at K-Mart. I'm gonna try this method on some compots. Hoping for better/faster growth!