(817) 754-0465

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Colors and genetics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 am 
Customer

TxRobNLA wrote:
While we are on the topic here is one more bit of information for you. P. micholitzii has a very dominate control gene that turns off anthocyanin production and to a lesser degree turns off yellow pigment production. So you can use micholitzii to stabilize the "alba" form. It's one of the reasons Penang Violacea has been made a lot in Taiwan. It was the easiest way to mass produce an alba flower that is similar to violacea.

I was just about to ask about micholitzii! Would that explain why the Joy Spring Canaries have so much color compared to its parents? Because both parents have a strong influence from micholitzii, so once they were crossed, making JSC, the control genes were turned back on allowing color through? Or is the reason totally different for this case?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:47 am 
Customer

This is where it starts getting beyond my technical understanding to be able to give a full explanation. I just know from talking with other people that have more knowledge in this area that there are repair mechanisms that can kick in under some cases and the error is easily fixed when any cross is made. Remember in many cases these are not heritable traits.

From a practical standpoint, I know many a hybridizer has tried selfling that prized special unique alba only to get all normal color seedlings.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 am 
Customer

Quote:
I was just about to ask about micholitzii! Would that explain why the Joy Spring Canaries have so much color compared to its parents? Because both parents have a strong influence from micholitzii, so once they were crossed, making JSC, the control genes were turned back on allowing color through? Or is the reason totally different for this case?

It's not so much that the other parents have a stronger influence, it's the further away you get from a given parent the less chance you have that it's genetics are passed. This is especially true with diploids. That's why some of the cultivars from JSC have some really nice oranges, but most are yellow. In the ones that are orange, they inherited the full set of control gene's from the other parents. In the yellows they have some of the micholitzii control genes and some from the other parents.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:57 am 
Customer

Thanks Rob. I don't understand it, but we can't argue with those observations...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:05 am 
Customer

yeah, unfortunately I'm not able to give a technical explanation of what is happening in those cases. It's beyond my genetics and plant physiology knowledge. It's day's like this I wish I had finished my plant physiology degree. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:52 am 
Customer

orchidwiz has a "cousins" tab that is useful if you want to compare your hypothetical cross to registered crosses. You can see pictures and crosses with a similar genetic background. There are a lot of photos, but not enough - I do see that some members of this board have contributed pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 pm 
Customer

TxRobNLA wrote:
I wish I had finished my plant physiology degree. ;-)

I know what you mean Dude. I majored in pre-med and minored in pre-law but wish I would have completed my pre-rocket science studies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:01 pm 
Customer

JimL wrote:
TxRobNLA wrote:
I wish I had finished my plant physiology degree. ;-)

I know what you mean Dude. I majored in pre-med and minored in pre-law but wish I would have completed my pre-rocket science studies.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

~Cody~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:03 pm 
Customer

ROFL! Jim I think you have the more lucrative idea!