(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Successful propagation of stem cutting in Peat/sand/moss pot
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:10 am 

found this site as i was surfing... take a look at this website for a great way to propagate your phal flower stems using peat pellets, sand and moss!

Lotte & Thomas Orchids

http://www.orchideenvermehrung.at/english/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:24 pm 

This approach will work. I have tried several variations on this theme and all were successful to some extent. The nodes do not develop multiple plantlets without treatment with a growth stimulant like BAP and they do not grow as fast as they do on culture medium but for those without a lab this will give you some good stem props at home. I prefer to also treat the stems sections with a 5 minute soak in hydrogen peroxide solution with a quick rinse in R/O water before plantint out. Keep the node slightly above the level of the moss or expanded spagnum.
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:00 am 

Would it be possible for someone to give a bit more detail on this method? I would like to try this. E.g. conditions and container - open or closed, care over time etc. The link above which I have seen before doesn't really give much helpful info. I bought all the bits and pieces apart from coconut water before joining the Forum!
Thanks in advance
Philip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:40 am 
Customer

I have had good results just putting the stems into water, in a bottle in the greenhouse. I cut the ends about once every two weeks or so, like you might do for cut flowers, and change the water about once a month. When roots appear, I then transfer to moss.

I cannot culture all the stem nodes off good plants ... so at repot time, we routinely toss a bunch of good stems into bottles like this. You do not always get plants, but it is practically free, so whatever you do get has not required much cost or effort to get it.

I have tried culturing the nodes immediately directly into moss. I tried that years ago a few times, and it was not successful for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:00 am 
Customer

Peter, do you need an orchid for your aquarium?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:22 am 
Site Admin

Oh my goodness, that is wild !

It'll die in my salt water fish aquarium.

So do you take it out of water now ?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:30 am 
Customer

Thats great. I was wondering if anybody had any luck with this method from Baldans website (I corrected the spelling :D ). I would like some experts to perhaps elaborate on this method. thanks!

WHAT DO I DO WITH MY PHALAENOSIS SPIKES?
You have a beautiful orchid that has finished blooming and you don't know what to do with the spike?
Phalaenosis on a whole like to generate some thing on there spikes. Ether a kiekie or a secondary spike. Some times they do nothing and the spike dries up. By cutting the spike in the right place there is more probability that they will do the latter. (We all hope)
1. The first thing you should do is see if your plant is healthy and also an older plant would do better (second year blooming). It takes a lot of energy to make more flowers or a kiekie. You don't want to stress the plants out to much you my loose them.
2. Look for the raised areas on the spikes. They look like a little tight leaf on the spike about 2in apart from one to the other. Theses are the nodes. Nodes contain growth tissue where plants can grow other things as it chooses.
3. You want to pick the 3rd or even 5th node from bottom. You want the node to be healthy and green. Clean cutting device with alcohol or beach water or even hydrogen peroxide any thing that will sterilize cutter ( plants can get infection just like we do).
4. Now you picked your node and cleaned your cutter its time to cut. You must cut 1in to 1 1/2in above node.
Now you wait. You should see some thing coming out of the node in a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:24 pm 
Customer

Mark - That's great! What did you put in the water? It's very green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:48 pm 

The ones that form under water seldom make it. It is pretty easy with certain plants to get them to produce a leaf or two from a spike in water. Getting them to root is another thing!!. I have been successful doing the water stem prop a few times but it is not very consistent for me. I have a lot higher success rate with selected plants by cutting of the blooming tip and leaving the stem on the plant for a season or two. Often I'll get several kiekis that way. Doesn't work on all plants though.
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:59 pm 
Customer

Dean can you please elaborate on cutting the stem? Where, how deep, how large a cut, ect?

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:03 pm 
Customer

I think the color is just indoor lighting and algea. This jar gets the same treatment (water, fertilizer, bug juice, neglect) as the rest of the greenhouse.
This is just an experiment, and I got more questions than answers. The stem is not something I need dups on.
Buddha's Mirage 'Gemstone' x Snow Leopard 'Colorama'
I think I'll try the dendrobium cane on NZM method. Might be hard to match the humidity level though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:07 pm 
Customer

I tried this with a stem and it just kept blooming and no keikis. I finally tossed it. When I have more room, I will try again with more patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:48 pm 

Michael, I simply cut off the tip of the spike just below the first flower (or where it was) forcing the plant to quit blooming on that spike. If you cut lower you will often get another bloom spike. This varies a lot from plant to plant. Some will kieki a lot this way; others just put out another bloom spike. I have about 50% success doing this.
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:25 pm 
Customer

Thanks Dean. I presume you mean to cut the spike below the last flower on the spike which is at the top of the spike?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:37 pm 

I actually meant the first flower to bloom but I dont think that it would matter as long as you cut off the blooming tip so that no more blooms can form.
Dean