(817) 754-0465

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Resource - Ploidy Information Database
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:42 pm 
Customer

Hi All,

After the Hybridizers Forum was shut down, I've been slowly trying to centralize some of the good data and create a more public resource on Orchid Vault. There is a public section called Information Vault.

I recently finished a new web based database that has all the previous ploidy data in it as well as many of the photo's of chromosomes for specific cultivars. I've still go some work to go on it to improve the formatting. Right now you can not tell from looking at the table if there is an attached photo, so you just have to go to the full record. But it is fully functional and you can use filters to limit the view and do searches.

link to the new Ploidy Database

As we get new counts done, Dean and I will be adding new data.

Hopefully this will be a useful resource for those that are interested in this information.

Best,

Rob

Post subject: Re: Resource - Ploidy Information Database
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 pm 
Customer

Many thanks for maintaining and expanding this great resource!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:46 am 
Customer

Many thanks for making this information easily available! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 am 
Customer

No problem guys, it's just been a matter of having enough time to get it in a user friendly format and some place public. The intent was always to try and keep the information available. When I started building Orchid Vault I intentionally choose a content management system that would make it easy to add things like this. The bigger problem has been the learning curve of the software and then having enough to time to work on it.

Everything in the Information Vault section is intended to be a public resource for the orchid community as a whole. Anything posted in that area will never require a login to view the data. So feel free to share the information. Not much up there right now, but it will grow as time allows.

Best,

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 pm 
Customer

Thanks Rob! When are you going to start offering chromosome counting services??? :) I am sure we all could keep you busy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm 
Customer

It's a matter of coming up with a reliable way to transport the root tips. The chemicals they have to be shipped in are technically illegal to ship. So I've been hesitant to draw that kind of attention to myself.

Dean, have you had any luck yet coming up with a safe way to transport them?

-Rob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:56 pm 
Customer

What chemical is it? I work in a laboratory and we ship all sorts of things and there is always some way.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for this great resource, Rob.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:04 am 

Shipping remains a huge problem for transporting orchid root tips for chromosome analysis. I've sent them by FedEx in well packaged kits so that any leak of the fixative would not cause problems. We have to first ship fixative (glacial acetic acid x alcohol;1:3) and a mitotic arrestor fluid (colchicine or 8-hydroxyquinolin) and then the fixed tissue has to be shipped back. This makes two exposures to shipment. Lately, I've been experimenting with return shipping in 70%ETOH after a time in the original fix but this really doesn't solve the whole problem. I also find that few individuals actually follow the instructions closely so you never know what you are going to get back. I have about 75% success rate with shipped root tips so two cut tips are better.

I think for most purposes it is best to send a spare plant to be counted rather than try to ship fixed root tips. I've had far better results doing it that way. The plant can always be returned after a count has been obtained.
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 am 
Customer

Rob, what about using a blood collection tube with rubber stopper.
Those things are pretty leakproof or maybe even just shipping root tip in
a bag or container without any fluids and ship overnight? Would it stay
fresh enough to be able to get results?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 am 
Customer

The problem with trying to send fresh root tips is you have to actually use the mitotic arrestor at the right time in order to catch the cells in meiosis. With orchids the largest number of cells are dividing in the morning. When you cut a root off the plant it's going to mess with the metabolism and would probably reduce the amount of cell division going on, especially by the time the root is received.

I don't know if there would be a way to induce a root tip back into growth after the fact. I suppose if you had a long enough root it might be possible. We would probably have to figure out what the right nutrients and hormones would be to get a root tip growing again. Dean have you thought about doing anything like that or tried by any chance?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:19 pm 
Customer

Could you maybe pack a live root in a simple solution of salts and sugars at the same concentration as the cells' own fluids? It might not even know it was disconnected....maybe add some growth hormones when it gets to its destination?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:41 pm 

I can see that there is considerable interest in sending root tips but none of the suggestions have worked thus far. I've tried to ship them in liquid culture medium with growth hormones but this has not been reliable and it is expensive. I've been working on this for over 25 years and have never been able to get any method to work very well other than cutting the root tip in the morning; treating it with a mitotic arrestor and fixing it prior to transport. Even with all this being done by the sender, it is no where near as good as having the plant near the lab where I can get at it and do the treatments right. Even then, there is no guarantee of success. Most of the time it works but not always. Like I said, with the best of conditions I get approximately 75% success from root tips sent to me if I can process them right away after recieving them. This percentage drops drastically if the sender doesn't follow instructions properly.
To put all of this in perspective, I believe that I'm the first person to ever try having people send root tips for analysis and have any success with it.
As I pointed out, the best method is to send the plant to the lab for analysis. If it is a spare plant then the person doing the work can either keep it for use or dispose of it. If it is a plant you have to have it can be returned after analysis. This gets around a lot of problems in shipping materials which government agencies have labeled "dangerous". The amounts and concentrations we use are not dangerous at all in my opinion but this doesn't make it any more legal. There are shipping methods that allow shipment of "dangerous" materials but that is a real shipping problem and shipment is usually delayed longer than one would like.
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 pm 
Customer

Hi Rob - great work! One Phal missing from the list is Brother Sara Gold. I'm assuming it is 4n based on its parentage and breeding record. Has any clone of BSG been counted?

David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:50 pm 

David, There are many missing from the list and the list doen't begin to include everything that has been counted. We will try to get it updated. Brother Sara Gold is tetraploid.
Dean