Newbie tries to get ripe seed capsule

Topics on phalaenopsis breeding, What are you looking to create?
Call_Me_Bob
Customer

Re: Newbie tries to get ripe seed capsule

Post by Call_Me_Bob » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:26 pm

naturegirl72 wrote:So sad... Gelblieber with PK 'Chin Yeo' didn't take either... am I doing something wrong? :cry:

..probably not, alot of times crosses don't take. Alot of mine have been failing too : I always try to use as fresh pollen as I can, I read somewhere that its best to put pollen on a flower that has been open 2-3 days. And I always try to pollinate at the time when its most fragrant.
~Martin

zxyqu
Customer

Post by zxyqu » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Pollen is better from an older flower I thought. (~1 week).
>> J <<
You know it's a great forum when you search for "bellina" and it returns this from the server:
"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bellina."

Call_Me_Bob
Customer

Post by Call_Me_Bob » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:25 pm

zxyqu wrote:Pollen is better from an older flower I thought. (~1 week).

Thats what I was told too! The 2-3 days I was talking about is what I had thought someone told me was a good age of the flower that will be the pod parent.
~Martin

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:31 am

Update - first capsule from a mysterious new primary :whistle: went to lab and first photo came back in march '13 - sorry we are late...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:35 am

...and the capsule from Phal. I-Hsin Salmon 'Copper Star' x Phal. equestris Aparii 'red lip' went to lab but I'm afraid we won't get viable seeds from this cross. The capsule was quite slim, but I will update as soon a we get infos from the lab... Keep your fingers crossed - I would really love to grow little orchids from this cross, hoping for a floriferous, compact plant with nice, medium sized red flowers 8)

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Los Christabel

Post by Los Christabel » Wed May 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Folks, I think it's time for an update. I, for one, can not wait for pictures of the 'chids. Go ahead, Sylvi and Olaf, make us jealous! :D

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:31 pm

Los Christabel wrote:Folks, I think it's time for an update. I, for one, can not wait for pictures of the 'chids. Go ahead, Sylvi and Olaf, make us jealous! :D
Hi :D - you are right, the news from our "lab guy" is that there are a few seedlings coming from the Phal. I-Hsin Salmon 'Copper Star' x Phal. equestris 'Apari' red lip cross (maybe 10), which makes us very happy. And the primary we made will also "arrive" this summer, pretty soon. We hope to register this one. So keep your fingers crossed.

There are a few other capsules soon ready for harvest, will post some photos these days. And I bought a bit stuff to try the sowing myself - but no time so far...

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Los Christabel

Post by Los Christabel » Fri May 16, 2014 9:30 am

I understand. I would love to see photographs when you are able to. Thank you, Sylvi. :fadein:

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:18 pm

Update - but no photos so far, sorry...

I got the primary in flasks middle of June and I hope to have first flowering seedlings in 1-2 years... fingers crossed.

Phal. I-Hsin Salmon 'Copper Star' x Phal. equestris Aparii 'red Lip' will need a bit more time, hope to get flask/s winter/spring '15.

I send off three more capsules today
- Phal. ambo 'Nicole' x Phal. Venus
- Phal. Ambomanniana x Chrimson Cherub
- Phal. hieroglyphica x bellina coerulea

Hope there are seeds inside - fingers crossed fertile! 8)

Flickr!
Album Homepage

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm crossing my fingers for you and your crosses, Sylvi!

sweetjblue
Customer

Post by sweetjblue » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Good Luck!

Like Adrienne, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
Judi

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Adrienne, Judi - thank you!!!

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Cntry

Post by Cntry » Thu May 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Are there any updates on your crosses you did last year? I would love to know how you made out with them. Thanks Cntry
naturegirl72 wrote:Update - but no photos so far, sorry...

I got the primary in flasks middle of June and I hope to have first flowering seedlings in 1-2 years... fingers crossed.

Phal. I-Hsin Salmon 'Copper Star' x Phal. equestris Aparii 'red Lip' will need a bit more time, hope to get flask/s winter/spring '15.

I send off three more capsules today
- Phal. ambo 'Nicole' x Phal. Venus
- Phal. Ambomanniana x Chrimson Cherub
- Phal. hieroglyphica x bellina coerulea

Hope there are seeds inside - fingers crossed fertile! 8)

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:15 pm

I have received very few and more or less "crippled" seedlings of cross Phal. I-Hsin Salmon 'Copper Star' x equestris 'Apari' - the lab guy told me that first there were protokorms, then no photosynthesis and the protocorms died - most of them. What I got now (and I am no expert in this field---still the newbie I was!) - I suppose he used something like hormones (?) to clone the few remaining protocorms - and they couldn't stop cloning (maybe too much?). So after all this long time I got just crippled ones, often just tiny, miniature sized leaves. There was just one I was able to pot (as the smaller one died in moss after a few days...). I keep my fingers crossed for this single one... :(

The cross Phal. ambo 'Nicole' x Venus returned to (from the same lab - but I won't send capsules there again) - the young plants are freaking tiny and he told me I have to deflask as they have stopped growing in the media. I put them in three bigger compots, many small plantlets together - so far they are alive and I think I could notice growing of the leaves and roots.

I will take update pics later - and add them here :)

Oh - forgot - the Martina Lippold capsule was empty (although it was quite big) (hiero x bellina blue) --- and Ambomanniana x Chrimson Cherub blew open and stupid Sylvi wasn't able to collect seeds - so another try will be necessary...

Oh - and besides Olaf has started to build me a very simple glovebox made from a strong curver box - will add photos from the box, too ;)

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Orchidsarefun
Customer

Post by Orchidsarefun » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:42 am

Good Luck on growing up those you did get.
I hope more people comment. I have also heard of this issue where protocorms do not grow on but keep on replicating - and then must be tossed. I was told that the reason for this is that the lab used the wrong germinating media for that specific genus. Is this true ?

Return to “Hybridizing, Trends”