(817) 754-0465

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: chattaladae.com
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:19 am 
Customer

Still coming along ... I still expect to begin shipping flasks this Spring or Summer. Also have some good primaries now that need to be sown soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:13 am 
Customer

Could someone guess at what the future holds for color of the hybrids made using Phal. cornu-cervi fma. chattaladae ? Sorry guys but I do like BIG, Phal. hybrids and am wondering if Phal. cornu-cervi fma. chattaladae could open the Heaven's Gate to a beautiful garnet-colored hybrid Phal of much bigger size ?!!! :think: Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:51 am 
Customer

It will be like any other red hybrid, getting the fire engine red color will be dependent on having flavanoid pigments in the background. So some good yellows will need to be used in combination with them.

Once we have good tetraploid chats, then it will be easy to start using these on bigger phals. cornu-cervi is really dominate for reducing flower size and creating star shaped flowers. So it will take some work to get the size and shape up.

In terms of how solid the color will be, it's any body's guess. But it would seem if you got the parents right that that you could get some really nice reds using these.

We're working on getting a set of diploid species and primaries converted to 4n that are all useful for red breeding. So hopefully once that's done we'll be well on our way to being able to do some new tetraploid red breeding that will take it to another level. I have a remake of Princess Kaiulani with an indigo violacea put on one of Wu's very good yellow BG amboinensis that I colchicine treated. The first of those should start blooming in the next 6 months. I expect that some of them will be about as close to red as you can get and they should have pretty good shape.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 am 
Customer

stock wrote:
It looks like 'Pravit Chattaladae' is showing an indistinct barring pattern to me. This suggests that the underlying color is the same as in an earlier described forma and the difference with 'Chattaladae' is in the amount of pigment that is produced in the upper layer of the flower under good conditions. I fully expect that much more variation will be seen in these as a good number of them are bloomed which is bound to give Dr. Grove an upset stomach. None of this detracts from the beauty or value of this fine line of this species.
Dean

Any newer observations from anyone regarding chattaladae showing less than solids colors? I'm curious because one generally well-regarded vendor is offering chattaladae in-spike and his catalog picture clearly shows a small amount of barring.

I have a not-in-spike f1 en-route from another vendor, but I'm tempted to put out the big bucks for something closer to blooming.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Including a link to discussions of chattaladae on the Orchid Board

http://www.orchidboard.com/community/species/53473-really-phal-cornu-cervi-fma-chattaladae-2.html#post440035

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:07 am 
Customer

Thread nominated for classic discussions.

I see that even thought the chattaladae.com domain has expired as of this past November, the content is still accessible by IP address at http://63.249.73.13/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 am 
Site Admin

I have a chattaladae flowering now with solid red color. This plant had a little bit yellow in lower sepals last summer thru Fall - near solid red, but not true solid.
Temperature will affect the look of the flower - as with many flowers.

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7