Phal. tetraspis & tetraspis var. speciosa

Brooke
Customer

Phal. tetraspis & tetraspis var. speciosa

Post by Brooke » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:20 pm

I have been waiting patiently (NOT) for these two plants to bloom. Finally :>)

Phal. tetraspis

Phal. tetraspis var. speciosa

Even more exciting is I have a L-O-N-G coveted species winging it's way to KY as I type. This year June has been even better than Christmas!

Brooke

HIDLIGHTMIKE
Customer

Re: Phal. tetraspis & tetraspis var. speciosa

Post by HIDLIGHTMIKE » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:32 pm

Both your tetraspis look great, very nice pictures!
Celebrate diversity, love your friends & family, and grow great orchids!

Mortimor

Post by Mortimor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:57 pm

love the first one!
Best regards and good growing

Martin

Tindomul1of9

Post by Tindomul1of9 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:06 pm

Gorgeous! The first one is my favorite. Very elegant!
"Kings made tombs more splendid then the houses of the living. And counted the old names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons."

-J.R.R. Tolkien

suss16
Customer

Post by suss16 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Both of these are great - really great. What is the "difference" between a tetraspis and a var. speciosa?

cabnc

Post by cabnc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Those are both fantastic !! I need to get rid of some of these hybrids to make room for more species :D

Charlie

OrchidTess
Customer

Post by OrchidTess » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Really nice Brooke! Great job! I like them both....the little spot in the top petal is really unique!
And what Tony said, "what is the difference"?

Ben Belton
Customer

Post by Ben Belton » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:56 pm

Those are awesome. Why have I not gotten one. The Wu's had one at Redlands too. It got gone early.
Carpe Diem

DarylD
Customer

Post by DarylD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Brooke,

I don't typically like the barring pattern on most tetraspis, but I really like this one! Very dark red barring! :)

Brooke wrote:Even more exciting is I have a L-O-N-G coveted species winging it's way to KY as I type. This year June has been even better than Christmas!

Brooke

Well? Are you going to tell us what the "L-O-N-G coveted species" is? :?

Gillian
Customer

Post by Gillian » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:30 pm

I love these, but particularly the first one. I'm not usually crazy about the barring in this species either but that one is great. I too have been trying to figure out the difference between a tetraspis and a var. speciosa.

pinonmountains
Customer

Post by pinonmountains » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Speciosa should be a species in itself, not a variety, per my understanding. Often plants were sold as speciosa, but were either pulchras, or tetraspis plants. Did a true speciosa ever come into cultivation again, scientifically recognized and in compliance with the type material, under which the species was described?

Matthias

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:34 pm

pinonmountains wrote:Did a true speciosa ever come into cultivation again, scientifically recognized and in compliance with the type material, under which the species was described?

Matthias

As a matter of fact - it has. Last week I shipped a plant labeled as Phal tetraspis 'C#1' to a customer. We were very lucky that Dr. Leslie Garay, a world respected taxonomist, was visiting my customer and we got the benefit of his extreme knowledge. Dr. Garay advised my customer that this plant is not tetraspis but IS speciosa. There is a good bit of information on it at Kew and speciosa is a species that is highly variable including one type in particular which they have given variety status.

A flower was preserved and sent to Dr. Garay to use scientific method for identification.

Dr. Garay said the flower arrived in A+ condition and identified the flower as Phal speciosa. I have this in writing.

Because what I shipped to my customer is a clone - so now we can correctly rename Phal tetraspis 'C#1' as Phal speciosa 'C#1'.

It will be a while but I need to update references on this site to reflect the correct name.
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

Toapel

Post by Toapel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:41 pm

Hello Peter,

but what are the differences? What was the basis for Mr. Garay to identify the plant as speciosa? On the pictures is nothing to see that this flower is different from tetraspis except the color.

kenavant
Customer

Post by kenavant » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:22 pm

All, there are many diferent propereries that the differant species have. Dr. Garay has the advantage of having information from the original ID, as well as any information he may require from the original ID. Dr. Garay is well respected within the orchid word as an AUTHORITY. He did assist Herman Sweet on the publication of "The Genus Phalaenopsis". Dr. Garay is considered an " Authority" by even Eric Christenson. This should be considered a positive ID to a species that has not been ID in cultivation in the recent past.

pinonmountains
Customer

Post by pinonmountains » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:57 am

So Peter, there is a chance that the "tetraspis C1" is now speciosa? I have one of those (smile). The fragrance of this plant is different from the fragrance of my tetraspis plants per my fragrance expert at home. Or was this specific plant an "exception" from the C1 population?

Now serious, the funny thing is that we were discussing the issue "tetraspis versus speciosa" some years ago in connection with C1 in this forum, if I recall this correctly.

I saw that Dwayne Lodwer has been offering speciosa plants for some time, now.

Matthias

Return to “Species Debate - Taxonomy”