(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: (F9-12) Phal Pylo's Sweet Violet (JSC x violacea)
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:19 pm 
Customer

Sometimes two great parents just don't manage to pass it on to their progeny . . . . :) And i just snapped this photo with my iPhone.

And I have 3 more from this flask in spike, so hopefully not all of them will be ugly ducklings, but I wanted to share this first one as it might be the first to bloom. Fingers crossed on the rest.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: JSC 'Joy' x violacea 'Blue Sea'
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

The coloring is interesting and it is its first bloom. Does it smell good?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for posting this flower Sarah. I am glad that you flowered it first. Hopefully there is one with the shape of JSC, and color from 'Blue Sea'.
Seeing that your first bloom has what looks like indigo color and blush, I am very encouraged to see more to flower from this cross.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:33 pm 
Customer

I'm a little surprised the color isn't more saturated, but this may be a case of the genetics going back to micholitzii effecting the pigment production. I bet you'll get some with more saturated color.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:41 pm 
Customer

how did you get this to grow? mine wouldnt grow no matter what!!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:23 pm 

Considering the color genetics of JSC, this is what I expected from the cross. I'll be very surprised if any are much darker and much more than surprised if any have even a hint of blue color in them.
Dean

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:43 am 
Customer

stock wrote:
Considering the color genetics of JSC, this is what I expected from the cross. I'll be very surprised if any are much darker and much more than surprised if any have even a hint of blue color in them.
Dean

What is it about JSC genetics that leads you to this conclusion? Are you referring to all JSCs or some JSCs?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:17 am 
Customer

I am interested to see how the others bloom out. I should be able to post 3 more shortly-- and I expect that others will spike and bloom this summer. It will be interesting to compare with others who have this cross as well. And Dean, it will be interesting to see if any of the blue comes through. This one is definitely the magenta--not the blue. This cross was interesting to me for precisely the reason that it was one of those that has hard to predict results.

stock wrote:
Considering the color genetics of JSC,

And Dean, I'd love to know more about the color genetics of JSC. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 am 
Customer

I think Dean is probably referring the micholitzii influence that is in this hybrid. micholitzii shuts down anthocyanin production and the effect can carry through for generations.

Knowing that some of the Joy Spring Canaries are actually more orange than this hybrid came out is why I made the statement that I think some of them will probably come out more saturated.

But when you think about it JSC 'Joy' has no anthocyanins appearing in the flower at all. So it's very possible that specific cultivar has a full set of the micholitzii genetics that turn off anthocyanin production. If this cross had been made with 'Rainbow' or 'Orange' the results may have been very different.

I agree it's unlikely this cross will result in any coeruleas, but that is by no means certain. We have one documented case where a micholitzii cross did not disrupt the coerulea pigment production, Dtps. Tzu Chiang Lilac. It's important to note that the pulcherrima coerulea genetics are working slightly different than the indigo violacea genetics. What works with coerulea pulcherrima does not necessarily hold true for the indigo violaceas. It's also important to note that all micholitzii X indigo violacea crosses have resulted in 100% white progeny. So there may not be any coeruleas from this cross. But I still don't think we fully understand all the genetics that are at play here and until we do it's hard to be certain what the outcomes will be when it comes to coerulea crosses. I know I feel like I'm probably 1 or 2 more generations of crosses away before I will really have enough data to start pulling it all together. There are some specific cases where I feel like understand what is happening. But when you introduce other genetics it get's really complicated.

-Rob

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:55 am 
Customer

Thanks Rob, that's what I was getting at. micholitzii crosses usually shut down anthocyanin production but not all the time. I agree that the clone 'Joy' was not the ideal choice for this cross but there is a chance that anthocyanin production can get turned on to some degree in a small percentage and an even smaller chance of obtaining any indigo color but there is a chance. It only takes one to make the cross worth while.

Post subject: Re: (F9-12) JSC 'Joy' x violacea 'Blue Sea'
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:04 am 

hm, well, i like it! the color pattern is uncommon, nd maybe after a while the flower will also flatten out......

how did it do meanwhile? any new pics available of this plant?

markus :)

Post subject: Re: (F9-12) Phal Pylo's Sweet Violet (JSC x violacea)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:10 pm 
Customer

any updates on this one ?

Post subject: Re: (F9-12) Phal Pylo's Sweet Violet (JSC x violacea)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:29 am 

hm, i would not say it´s ugly - i like such stuff ;)

markus :)