(817) 754-0465

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Phalaenopsis Anna-Larati Soekardi x Ascocentrum miniatum
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:01 pm 

So is Phalaenopsis and Ascocentrum genetically compatible then or is it just exceptional? The whole genetics of orchids amazes me :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:32 pm 
Customer

charlaux wrote:
So is Phalaenopsis and Ascocentrum genetically compatible then or is it just exceptional? The whole genetics of orchids amazes me :)

From what I've seen over the years, orchids are generally compatible within a taxonomical subtribe, which is the rank right above genus. A great example of this would be how we can get crosses that are Cattleya x Laelia x Sophronitis x Encyclia x Brassavola x Epidendrum . . . etc. I think it's more so of an exception when they don't, such as when a particular genus or subgenus diverged and became natural polyploids at one time in their history. So according to this theory, technically Dendrobium and Bulbophyllum should be able to interbreed. Whether they produce fertile offspring is another question.

~Cody~

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:40 pm 

TheBlazingAugust wrote:
charlaux wrote:

From what I've seen over the years, orchids are generally compatible within a taxonomical subtribe, which is the rank right above genus. A great example of this would be how we can get crosses that are Cattleya x Laelia x Sophronitis x Encyclia x Brassavola x Epidendrum . . . etc. I think it's more so of an exception when they don't, such as when a particular genus or subgenus diverged and became natural polyploids at one time in their history. So according to this theory, technically Dendrobium and Bulbophyllum should be able to interbreed. Whether they produce fertile offspring is another question.

Thank you for the explanation TheBlazingAugust. It definitely explained me a lot.