(817) 754-0465

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Phalaenopsis gigantea in buds
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

A few of my large Phal gigantea are in buds. Now that hot summer is behind us, plants are getting more light. I haven't been very much with watering these plants when hanging on the wall. I like the tree fern plaque to be slightly tilted so there is better water contact time. So I did a little bit rearranging

Also a Phal schilleriana in spike already. It may flower in January.

Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis

Phalaenopsis Princess Kaiulani 'Peter Lin' HCC/AOS - has 3 keiki's - I don't think there are enough roots to separate these keiki yet.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Phalaenopsis gigantea in buds
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:46 am 

Wow, a hanging wall of Phal. gigantea in bud. Will be VERY impressive when in bloom. I'm looking forward to the future photos!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:19 am 

Awesome! Always good to see gigantea. Looks very similar to the Jumbo orchid setup and they seem to do well with gigantea too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Doreen and Han.

Thank you everyone. I will be sure to update when these come into bloom. They weren't getting enough light or water when I used to hang them vertically along the side of my greenhouse. They also got too cold in the winter. There is one currently with many buds have reduced to just 3 leaves. I feel that I had to do something.

When a Phal gigantea produce a few flowers, size can be as large as 6.5-7.0 cm. The largest flower I've seen is 7.5 cm. A few of my Phal gigantea bloom 2-3 times a year. When a plant produce hundreds of flowers, flower size is usually reduced. My recent awarded plant measure 6.5 cm in February but reduced to 5.5 cm when awarded later in June. It would be great to have a Phal gigantea with over 100 6.5-7.0 cm flowers.
One of my larger Phal gigantea has gotten big and heavy. I place the plastic basket into a larger wood basket - and use the 4 basket wire. Plant still tip over on one side. I knew about using chains but just never got around to it until now. If I had done this sooner, it would make watering easier.

Before

After

The 4 wire hanger is removed after I took these pictures. Although I use 3 chains, it seems that only 2 chains are needed to balance this plant.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Working on getting these Phal gigantea more light. The new setup (placing a few of these mounted Phal gigantea in the middle of greenhouse) has these plants facing west. I want to take this plant to judging this weekend. So I am hanging this plant to face south. We are getting very nice weather this week so more than half of the buds have opened thus far.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:39 pm 

Hope it does well at judging. Flower looks dark!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Thank you. Last minute decision to skip judging because I felt the plant wasn't ready. More than half of the flowers are not fully opened on Saturday.

If I was going. I probably would lay this plant flat in a long box. Flowers will be tested on fibers. Phal gigantea looses its pollen quickly. But it's okay because once the plant is shown. Then the flowers can wilt the next day and I wouldn't care. That said. I get to enjoy the flowers longer when the plant is not disturbed from transporting to judging center.

Here are a few more pictures taken couple days ago.

Not easy to get good pictures without supplemental lighting. Flowers are facing downward and no sunlight when I took these pictures with my phone.

Profile Personal album