(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Looking for Phal Wiganiae/ philadelphia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:03 pm 

hello everyone

I'm looking for phal Wiganiae/ philadelphia which is a primary hybrid between Phal Schilleriana and Stuartiana.

I've tried most of the big nursery websites such as orchids limited, orchids by marlow, Hausermann's orchid, LOC, orchids.com and even here yet couldn't find any.

wondering if anyone knows where or has ways to find one,
I am so obsessed with mottled leaves.

thank you.

Post subject: Re: Looking for Phal Wiganiae/ philadelphia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:09 pm 

Good luck with your search! That hybrid was originally registered in 1899, and hybrids tend to only be remade if the flowers offer great potential, which by today's standards, it doesn't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:16 am 

This one is actually easy: make your own!

Get a couple of good parent plants from Peter and make your own cross, then send the pod to any of several reliable flaskers. Not only will you get to pick out the leaves with the most mottling (I'm with you on that...I love mottled leaves), but every plant will be from your own hand, which is a special thing.

Ray is absolutely correct: most nurseries simply have to breed on a primary objective which is, "Daddy needs a new pair of shoes..." If the cross was interesting and of historical merit, that does not mean that people will ... purchase it, and so, the cross does not get remade. This is not entirely a sad thing: it gives you the opportunity to remake the cross yourself (with superior-grade parents, of course), grow your own babies and, when one comes out especially nice and gets awarded, you get to say, "I TOLD YOU SO!" Just make bloody sure you use superior parents.

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:11 am 

thks for the suggestions.
it does sounds very interesting, I think i will do that when the plants getting bigger
I only have couple small ones atm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

I had seedlings of my cross F10-42 Phal Wiganiae (schilleriana 'Joy' X stuartiana 'Yellow 09'). I don't have them any more. I would remake these because of their beautiful foliage.
The reason for this remake was because of the yellow Phal stuartiana f. nobilis.
Unfortunately I did not bloom out many.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 pm 

hope I can see you remake this pretty one someday
you have the most pretty phal

what happened to the yellow stuartiana?
are they hard to bloom?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:10 pm 

WaltonInlet wrote:
This one is actually easy: make your own!

Get a couple of good parent plants from Peter and make your own cross, then send the pod to any of several reliable flaskers. Not only will you get to pick out the leaves with the most mottling (I'm with you on that...I love mottled leaves), but every plant will be from your own hand, which is a special thing.

That might just happen... I had not heard of this cross until just now, And I currently have (and hoping to bloom in the spring) P. stuartiana "Sogo" and a P. schilleriana (M442 x M424), both from Peter. (as well as a desire to try flasking myself). As for the mottled leaves... I'll just say I got super excited when one of my Mass Market NoID's started expressing mottling.

WaltonInlet wrote:
Ray is absolutely correct: most nurseries simply have to breed on a primary objective which is, "Daddy needs a new pair of shoes..." If the cross was interesting and of historical merit, that does not mean that people will ... purchase it, and so, the cross does not get remade. This is not entirely a sad thing: it gives you the opportunity to remake the cross yourself (with superior-grade parents, of course), grow your own babies and, when one comes out especially nice and gets awarded, you get to say, "I TOLD YOU SO!" Just make bloody sure you use superior parents.

Walton

Yeah, I've learned the hard way, that if you see a plant you really like, it's best to grab it when you can, because you might not see it again... Some such as LD Bear Queen, I do not see disappearing anytime soon, but I am so glad I got my P. Sogo "Relax" when I did, as it seems to have vanished. But of course, as you say, it isn't always a bad thing to allow openings for new plants to get into the market.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:24 am 

I remade Phalaenopsis Louisiana Pixie(philippinensis x stuartiana var nobilis) because of the mottled leave. They have not bloomed yet but the leaves are gorgeous.