LED Shop Light

Discussion of what's happening in primary hybrids - results from two species
doreen

LED Shop Light

Post by doreen » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:30 am

Hello All:

In the last week Costco got in a supply of FEIT Electric, LED shop lights. The only information on the box was the unit had a 5 foot cord, came with a hanging system and the color of the light was cool white. There was a guarantee of 5 years. Price was $40.00

I am tempted to buy one and just "play" with it to see how various orchids perform in my conditions with LED light.

But I'm wondering how reliable are these lights, has anyone used them?

raybark

Re: LED Shop Light

Post by raybark » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:12 am

I cannot speak for the reliability, but how good it might be as a plant light is going to depend on which one you're getting.

Doing a quick search for "FEIT Electric, LED shop lights" turned up one with 1850 lumens output and another with 3700. For 4-foot lamps, by comparison, a single T5 bulb will put out about 4800 or so.

What that really means is that you'll need to put it fairly close to the plants, but considering the reduced heat, that shouldn't be an issue.
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
Using science & logic to improve orchid growing

doreen

Post by doreen » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:03 am

Hi Ray:

I was hoping you'd answer my question. I refer anyone who asks me about orchid care and lighting to your website, great information there.

It looks as if I'm going to have to buy one of these lights at Costco to see which one they are selling. The $40 price would indicate to me that it is probably a lower quality light. From what I've seen, quality LED fixtures cost much more than that.

Thanks for your immediate reply!

amyorchidbud56

Post by amyorchidbud56 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:09 pm

To All,
Thanks for all the info - oops all over my head!! As far as the Feit white LED's some members of my orchid society: Michigan have used these and seem to like them. Unfortunately, that is all the info I have on them. I was going to buy a couple to test out, but every time I call Costco the lights are for the people with rain checks only. It seems as soon as they get a supply in they're gone!! :mrgreen:

doreen

Post by doreen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:59 am

amyorchidbud56 wrote:... I was going to buy a couple to test out, but every time I call Costco the lights are for the people with rain checks only. It seems as soon as they get a supply in they're gone!
Our local Costco seems to have these in ample supply. Every time I go to Costco now you see men with their carts loaded with these fixtures. I guess they are replacing their older lights in their garages/shops.

I was also going to get one of these fixtures to play around with, but I have no where to hang it and have a bunch of phal seedlings in compots to pot out. So I have no time to play around with lights right now.

amyorchidbud56

Post by amyorchidbud56 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:23 am

doreen wrote:
amyorchidbud56 wrote:... I was going to buy a couple to test out, but every time I call Costco the lights are for the people with rain checks only. It seems as soon as they get a supply in they're gone!
Our local Costco seems to have these in ample supply. Every time I go to Costco now you see men with their carts loaded with these fixtures. I guess they are replacing their older lights in their garages/shops.

I was also going to get one of these fixtures to play around with, but I have no where to hang it and have a bunch of phal seedlings in compots to pot out. So I have no time to play around with lights right now.

Return to “Primary Hybrids”