(817) 754-0465

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Anyone have experience with Phal. San Shia Appendo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:41 pm 

I picked up a Phal. San Shia Appendo (P. appendiculata X P. pulcherrima) at the NHOS Show today. It is a yet unbloomed seedling, about 1 1/2" each leaf, with a strong purple tint. I attached it to a piece of cork, and placed it in the vivarium in a medium light zone, next to my P. deliciosa. The humidity in the vivarium rarely drops below 70%, and gets fog watered about every 3 days or so. Any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with Phal. San Shia Appendo
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:59 am 

Based on your result just posted, looks like you did the right thing! If I do the math correctly, has it only been mounted for three months? Nice job.

Dorothy Parker

Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience with Phal. San Shia Appendo
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:53 am 

I picked up the plant early Feb. and mounted it shortly after. I would never attempt to grow anything this small on a mount without a vivarium here in our 20% humidity winters... Even my much larger P. schilleriana and P. stuartiana were not thrilled with it, but handled it fairly well. I was looking at a P. lobbii before setting up the vivarium, and decided against it... I think I could do it now however.

I will say when I was adding the new pictures to my logbook, I realized I may need to actually reduce the light some. With this plant, I think the P. pulcherrima parentage gave it some light tolerance, but it is likely at the very high limits, as it wasn't as purple when I first acquired it.

I also had a scare about 1 month ago with some black leaf fungus. It hit a couple plants, so I cut off the fungi, and dosed the plants with a anti-fungal, and increased the airflow, and all has been well, and this plant seems very happy... now If I could say the same about some of my others....