(817) 754-0465

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Phalaenopsis Corning-Cervi (red form)
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:11 pm 

Hello All,
Walton has been encouraging me to start posting some of the pictures I send his way on this forum. So here I is! I will admit to checking out the forum many times over the years looking for information about a plant or just to enjoy everyone's posts.
I have worked at Carter and Holmes Orchids for over 16 years, at least half of that doing the photography and catalogs, sales etc.. and almost the same time spent hybridizing. Many of the current hybrids we offer came from my toothpick. :D
I know Walton has shared some snap shots I took of these plants in the last few weeks but I wanted to show better images with more true coloring. The seedpod was my cross of Phal. cornu-cervi var. chattalade '#2' x Phal. corningiana . The latter came from a very fragrant and extremely solid red colored strain.
This year we bloomed out our first seedlings of those I held back(most had already sold by this spring). All are flowering in 3" pots, with at least a 6"-8" leafspan. All are very fragrant though the intensity varies from plant to plant and by time of day. These are the first four, with more in bud to flower later. My plan is to sib cross the best and hopefully also remake the hybrid using similar or the same parents this summer.
So enjoy!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Phalaenopsis Corning-Cervi (red form)
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:39 pm 

a-HAH!

Despite your proclivity toward anonymity, you are now...PeterTrapped!!

You have now posted on this forum (statement of fact), not just stalked it for years. Therefore, there … is … no escape!

Thanks for joining us.

By the way, before anyone even wonders, seedling "C" was one of the two unflowered plants I ordered from this cross, according to me. Uhhm, according to me. Bridget may have another recollection, but she is young and impressionable (compared to most of us!). I hereby impressionate.

Walton

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:21 pm 

Yes Walton I do remember your request for a couple of unbloomed seedlings. Though as you can tell that term no longer applies to those pictured! :lol: :lol:
I have a few yet unbloomed/but in bud ones set aside, if you would like to run up here and grab them before they too bloom...otherwise you will have to takes what I sends. :D
Seriously though I do have yours so never fear. I just needed to keep enough back for my AQ...ah hope springs.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 pm 
Customer

This has to be the hardest decision I've ever had to make. (No wait! That's what the Judges say on The Voice). I like the bright red color of seedling C but I choose seedling A for the barring. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 am 

Bob wrote:
This has to be the hardest decision I've ever had to make. (No wait! That's what the Judges say on The Voice). I like the bright red color of seedling C but I choose seedling A for the barring. :)

Bob, you are a hoot-and-a-half! If I read your location notation correctly, you are close enough to drive over to C&H and pick up some for yourself. Looks like I am going to have to settle for a stem prop of 'C' if Bridget is serious about her classification distinction between flowered-and-unflowered :cry: . Taxonomically speaking, most of the folks at C&H are "lumpers;" now alluva sudden a "splitter." Sigh. Dangit, I knew I should have already had those shipped! When WILL I ever learn???!

Dorothy Parker

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:51 pm 
Customer

You have to get them while you can Walton! I had seen this cross in C&H catalog when it first came out but I didn't purchase one until you found out that it smelled stronger than corningiana itself. I'm hoping mine is but it appears a year or two from flowering. C&H is about a 2 hour drive for me and it's easier to buy online. I try to be funny if I can. :)