My kitchen

windows, Hydrohut, basements, terrarria etc
Rhaen

My kitchen

Post by Rhaen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Well... more of an indoor greenhouse, really. The calm spot of my life, which I have created just for myself. I have more plants in other rooms, (new ones which I keep separate from the main group, until I'm completely sure that they are healthy). I haven't counted yet, but I'm somewhat sure that I have over 100+ plants now. Mostly Phalaenopsis, some Neofinetia, and then a Cattleya-hybrid of two. Oh... and then there's that really overgrown Dendrobium nobile in the corner which grows like a weed, but refuses to bloom, (I think it's a temperature issue).
~ sebastian
~ blog

BryanG
Customer

Re: My kitchen

Post by BryanG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:21 pm

looks great sebastian!
Happy Growing :D

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Now that is a perfect kitchen!

Francis

Post by Francis » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:40 am

Hi Sebastian,

I don't know about the culture you have for your Den. nobile (is it the species or one of the hybrids?), but they normally need very bright light (I grow mine on a southern facing windosill), short of being burned, really. In the Spring and Summer, when they are growing, give plenty of water, and once you see the terminal leaf on top of the canes, start reducing water, and after about October or begining of November, stop watering altogether (not a drop of water, sometimes for 4 or 5 months!), until you see the buds growing off the sides of the nodes on the canes. Also, during their dry rest, they need cooler temperatures, maybe as low as 10 to 13 Celsius during the dormancy period. In February, when the nodes start to swell up, and the temptation of watering starts, don't give in, wait until you see that those 'growths' are definitely buds, otherwise they will become keikis!

If your plant shrink too much, give the top of the compost and the plant a very light mist/spraying, but not enough to soak the compost. Only resume normal watering once you have seen the buds or the new growth starts in Spring.

Regards,

Francis
http://www.phalaenopsisandmore.co.uk
With the kind permission of Peter lin

peterlin
Site Admin

Post by peterlin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:27 am

Wonderful. But it looks like a lot of work to me to water them. :D
Peter Lin, Admin
Big Leaf Orchids

rangiku

Post by rangiku » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 am

It is a lot of work, but it's what some of us has to do.

Francis

Post by Francis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:48 am

peterlin wrote:Wonderful. But it looks like a lot of work to me to water them. :D

Quite the contrary, Peter.

It is easy as pie:

1 From the start of the new growth until the growth has been completed, plenty of water and warm temperatures.

2 From the end of the growth cycle until you see the buds starting to push through, cool temperatures and no water whatsoever.

As a well known character from and advert for car insurance in the UK would say: 'Simples!' :D

Francis

naturegirl72
Site Admin

Post by naturegirl72 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:40 am

;) think what Peter meant was to water all the orchids in the kitchen is a lot of work as Sebastien can't just spray or water them like Peter in his wonderful greenhouse 8)
Cool kitchen, Sebastien! I found the coffee machine - would be great to have a cup of coffee there with you :)
Bye-Bye, Sylvi & Olaf Image

Flickr!
Album Homepage

Francis

Post by Francis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:35 am

naturegirl72 wrote:;) think what Peter meant was to water all the orchids in the kitchen is a lot of work as Sebastien can't just spray or water them like Peter in his wonderful greenhouse 8)
Cool kitchen, Sebastien! I found the coffee machine - would be great to have a cup of coffee there with you :)

Oops! Sorry. :oops:

Francis

Rhaen

Post by Rhaen » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:03 pm

peterlin wrote:Wonderful. But it looks like a lot of work to me to water them. :D

Well... I water 5-6 of them every day. Just take a trip looking/feeling them through, deciding which ones need to be watered the most. In the weekends, usually on sundays, I water like 10-15 of them.

If I feel lazy... I go a almost a week without watering any. But then I need to spend about 5 hours on a sunday to go through them all.

Got a couple of mounted ones, as well as a Rhy. coelestis in a basket. These I need to water every day during the summer. Although, I've went away during a weekend, so they seem to be okay for 2-3 days without water, if I don't do it too often (or they'll lose some of the finer roots which shrivel/dry up).
~ sebastian
~ blog

Return to “Growing Areas”